Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cephalopods (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Blue Ringed Octopus - (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265978)

Mr aqua 11/06/2003 07:24 PM

Blue Ringed Octopus -

availiable. eating. positive identification. just beautifuL. make me an offer or PMe - i'm located in So. CaLi - prefer local give away - willing to ship, buyer pays expenses. pics sooN!

vN.

OctoMonkey 11/07/2003 04:14 AM

Impress your friends and relatives with an envenomation they'll never forget!!!

Octopus guaranteed to live for one month then die of natural causes.

Poking stick (TM) not included but you will need one to see the pretty blue rings; otherwise its just a secretive small brown octopus!

Brain transplant for buyer optional

OctoMonkey 11/07/2003 04:16 AM

Poking stick (TM) not included but you will need one to see the pretty blue rings; otherwise its just a secretive small brown octopus!

OctoMonkey 11/07/2003 04:16 AM

Mr aqua 11/07/2003 01:23 PM

ye , figured someone would have a problem or negative comments about Frank but to each his own i always say...please, allow me to retort! hmm, too bad i've had it for two months the guy even survived the tank cycle. and they have a life span of maybe two years in the wild, Frank is about the size of a quarter, so i suppose that means he's young? Mine roams the tank pretty regularly b/c unlike most other cephs .. Blue Rings are active during the day and shows off those awesome colors during feeding all the time, i'd assume cuz he's happy or in attack mode. either way, anyone whos just plain careful shouldn't have a problem. I'm not saying that the potential for harm isn't there, i am saying that its not as aggressive as some are lead to believe. just b/c the little guy might be a little to much for YOU doesn't make it so for others. i don't want him cuz i happen to like crabs and snails and all the little fishies and critters in my reef. guy is cooL to watch eat tho - so there, take that! :P

jdepp 11/07/2003 01:32 PM

want 2 c pics

Mr aqua 11/07/2003 01:44 PM

trying to get them up today - maybe tonite!

OctoMonkey 11/07/2003 03:33 PM

well done!

But your 2 years theory doesn't hold water... 6 months is norm

Mr aqua 11/07/2003 04:52 PM

hmm, most of the research and outside opinion says around two years. can anyone else confirm or negate OctoMonkey? the key issue here is, Who wants my Blue Ring?

jdepp 11/07/2003 05:23 PM

post pics. how can i say if i want it if i can't see it. also how much? can it live in a reef? 20k mh lighting?

J.A 11/08/2003 06:15 PM

I have to agree, Blue-rings can only live up to six months.

OctoMonkey 11/10/2003 04:24 AM

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering1.html

jdepp 11/10/2003 09:24 AM

i didn't know that they were that deadly. i don't want it i'm always worried about what is in my tank you never know what will come in on the rock, i do like the way the blue ring looks though. but i had an octo that did'nt live long at all. a few weeks, and he did'nt have any problems eating either as soon as i put it in the tank it reached out and grabbed the first crab that walked by. i do like octos though are there any that can do well in a tank? mabey a nano devoted to it. i had a dwarf octo it never came out though, it stayed in the big snail shell it came with,it was about 3 inches in length very small what type of water perameters do they require? i hear that they never live long in a tank is that true?

Freed 11/10/2003 09:36 AM

Why would anyone want to buy/sell one of the most deadly/venomous creatures alive? One bite and YOU ARE DEAD. No, oops I didn't think he would do that scenario. I was under the impression it was illegal to have/sell/buy them anywhere other than where they come from, nature. Someone please take the risk. We won't continue looking for any responses from you in a few months. Either the little guy will be dead or you will. The seller obviously is not a responsible dealer/reefer. Would not have one or sell one to anyone if he were. Am I wrong? I think not. I am sure he will argue the fact. Freed

OctoMonkey 11/12/2003 08:44 PM

:)

Reeftropicals 11/18/2003 09:52 AM

I have to agree to a certain extent...

It is legal for them to be sold though. I can legally import them into the US all day long..., but never have nor do I think I ever will.

These animals are in my opinion better left alone in the wild or sold to public aquariums, researchers or extremely experienced aquarists.

There is no way of knowing, for me, who will buy the animal eventually. I would only import them if I had a direct request from a public aquarium. But I never have and I think there is good reason for that.

The seller in this thread might be very experienced. The question is, will the next owner/buyer be as experienced?

There are more animals that fall into the category: snakes, poisonous frogs, sharks etc. Somebody alway's ends up selling them to an unknowing new owner that has absolutely no idea what he is getting himself into or what it takes to care for that particular animal.

We as responsible aquarists and animal keepers have a major responsibility to our animals, our selves but also others. The keeper is the one that is ultimately responsible. Research every animal before you aquire it. I know that's not right but the very harsh truth as a lot (not all) LFS's do not know about good husbandry or care. Unfortunately it's for a lot of them all about making a buck, it's a multi million dollar industry and whenever there is money to be made, people tend to behave in way's they would normally not behave or tollerate from others.

With all that said, there is still the issue how we can help the owner in this thread and how we can help the animal in particular to get a new home.

Reeftropicals 11/18/2003 10:30 AM

My advice to you is for you to continue to take care of the animal. Get your self a seperate tank and take care of the animal for the remainder of it's extremely shrt live span.

You say it's still a baby..., well they don't get much bigger than just a few inches. It's probably an adult.

Put it in a tank that is completely sealed off so that it can not get out and an unknowing guest in your house or your son/daughter, picks it up to put it back in it's tank and die in a matter of minutes. But also to keep curious hands out of the tank.

I don't believe for 1 second that you have any idea of what this animal is capable off!

You are responsible for it by having purchased the animal. Now, take care of it. It's only for a few weeks to months at most.

Good luck to you and everybody else involved.

Unseentric 12/12/2003 06:56 AM

Freed: "One bite and YOU ARE DEAD"

That is not entirely accurate. Mortality rates due to tetradoxin poisoning depend on a number of factors (e.g. size of human, octopus, etc.). I read the other day that there is a 50% mortality rate in humans (Neuroscience, by Bear). Im not saying that buying a blue-ring is smart, just that you shouldn't give false information. There are lots of people that survive poisioning from puffer fish (same toxin).
FWIW

Alberio 12/12/2003 07:40 AM

Blue Ring in attack mode.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Attacking Blue Ring

yunkeraj 12/13/2003 06:47 PM

Blue Ring ==== :(

JENnKerry 04/10/2004 02:05 PM

Leave them in the ocean........where they belong

JENnKerry 04/10/2004 02:06 PM

Next thing you know people will want to keep a great white shark in their swimming pool......

J-birdj 04/13/2004 04:08 PM

Is this guy still alive?

J-birdj 04/13/2004 04:09 PM

Geeze - i should have qualified that question.

Hey Mr aqua, are you still alive?

Mr aqua 04/13/2004 08:19 PM

Yes - what do you guysneed? This thread is 6mo's old -