Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Salt mix? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2660284)

DesertReefT4r 12/03/2017 03:26 PM

Salt mix?

So whats the new current trend in salt mixes for reef tanks theses days. When I gt out of reef keeping the hot salts where Tropic Marin Bio Actif, RedSea CP and DD H2Ocean. Of coarse Tropic Marin Pro Reef and IO Reef Crystals where popular.

Queensreefer 12/03/2017 07:44 PM

I want to try the live aquaria salt

SAT 12/03/2017 08:21 PM

The basic formula for seawater is the same now as it was 40 years ago and IO is still a perfectly good option.

Pslreefer 12/03/2017 08:40 PM

Salt mix?

I’d go with the tried and true salt for the past 40 years than any trend...

But to answer your question:

Aquaforest and fritz are the salts of the month right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni 12/04/2017 08:12 PM

A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on IO.

outy 12/04/2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pslreefer (Post 25292521)

Aquaforest and fritz are the salts of the month right now.

Which is the same as live aquaria salt as far as I can tell.

outy 12/04/2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoni (Post 25293478)
A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on IO.

While true, it does not do any harm to have better salt with more beneficial elements.

TOTM owners measure twice and know ahead of time what is needed and when.

Most novice/med aquarist need all the help they can get, I don't feel I'm a novice but do like how well this new stiff mixes, and how stable and even each batch has been.

It seems to be more consistent.

outy 12/04/2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queensreefer (Post 25292468)
I want to try the live aquaria salt

Great stuff. Better then reef crystals

HBtank 12/04/2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outy (Post 25293563)
Great stuff. Better then reef crystals

Says who... Reef crystals are great,

outy 12/05/2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtank (Post 25293608)

Me and many others prefer this.

It is great, are you saying there was no room for improvement?

First the salt itself seems to be finer grained which helps with it dissolving faster. It dissolves much better, less left in the tub and its always consistent.

I used reef crystals only for about 15 years after 10 years of IO and after about 600 G of mixing fritz/live aq ill never go back.

HBtank 12/05/2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outy (Post 25293640)
Me and many others prefer this.

It is great, are you saying there was no room for improvement?

First the salt itself seems to be finer grained which helps with it dissolving faster. It dissolves much better, less left in the tub and its always consistent.

I used reef crystals only for about 15 years after 10 years of IO and after about 600 G of mixing fritz/live aq ill never go back.

No, I am saying who's (and how) making that determination? Referencing "mixing" only highlights that there is scant data other than perception/observation.

Anyway, this is not a new topic; there have always been the "flavor of the month" brands, but it seems like they always have QC issues (and simply expensive) which keeps me away. RC mixes fine for me, some residue in the drums, but clear in less than 24 hours, is economic, and consistent. All other non "premium" mixes I have tried were disappointing, and I like mixing lots of water, so high priced "premium" salts are just... meh

Though I will try LA, the price is where I like it and I have more faith in them as a company.

Edit: I then read mixed reviews of LA/Fritz and their QC, with people reporting residue, and the 205g boxes coming with one giant bag? Not individual 50g bags? Once again, thinking why bother with something not broken...

outy 12/05/2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtank (Post 25293983)

Edit: Though I then read mixed reviews of LA/Fritz, with people reporting residue, and the 205g boxes coming with one giant bag? ...

There is always some residue from high calcium mixes, and there is less for me in this then RC.

The one bag has not been an issue, since make 100G batches.

HBtank 12/05/2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outy (Post 25294018)
There is always some residue from high calcium mixes, and there is less for me in this then RC.

The one bag has not been an issue, since make 100G batches.

Yeah, but something as simple as the 50g bags (I use two 30g poly drums) matters to me and my personal routine.

Residue is residue (as you note, all "reef salts" generally have it), the high dKH of RC has never been an issue for me, and I like to think of the higher CA/MG and other elements as just more bang for the buck (what you are paying for with a "reef salt" anyway).

Regardless, I think the best attribute a salt can have is being cheap (with good QC); and more cheap brands is a good thing. More water changes will always beat out the "perfect" salt mix IMO.

tmz 12/05/2017 12:24 PM

Might be a fine salt . I favor consistency and have always used coral life for over ten years now.

smatter 12/05/2017 02:23 PM

Coralife since I can remember. No more T shirts though :(

DesertReefT4r 12/05/2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBtank (Post 25293608)

I had some major issue with RC mixing up brown, leaving a brown film in bucket and habing way high alk and mg too I like, 3 buckets in a row had the same issue. Im biggest thing is consistancy batch to batch and lower cost. TMPR would be my salt of choice but the cost I just cant justify anymore. DD was good as well but was on the limit of what I want to pay. Any specs on the mentioned salt mixes at 35ppt?
Just to list so e of the slats i have used over the years.
IO, RC, TM, TMPR, RSCP, DD H2Ocean, HW Marine, HW Reef, Seachem, Seachem Reef, Coralife, Oceanic, Oceanic/IO mix, Kent Marine.
Ones I really liked but can not long get or are to much $$$.
HW Marine, HW Reef, TM, TMPR, DD. HW was by far my favorite salt mix, price was same as IO, numbers are great, consistant and corals did well using it. TMRO was my next but $100 killed it for me.