Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Reefers Group (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=707)
-   -   Tropical Military Bases? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2534016)

MrSkumFrog 10/17/2015 11:09 PM

Tropical Military Bases?

Hello
I'm a GS employee at Brooke Army Medical Center, Texas. I'm interested in moving somewhere warm and tropical with great snorkeling.
I want to stay in the GS system and keep working at a military hospital.
What are my choices?
There's Guam and there's Tripler (don't want to move to Oahu).
Any other hospitals that you can think of?

dendrite 10/18/2015 01:04 PM

google kwajalein jobs. There was a thread here a while back of pictures and description of reef life on kwajalein, and this guys tank set up right out of his back yard ocean.

Kingsixx 10/27/2015 09:35 PM

Okinawa lol... Thats about as tropical as it gets. Good snorkeling and scuba diving too.

vikinglord13 10/29/2015 08:59 PM

Have you looked into NAS Key West (Keys, FL)?

Not sure if Patrick AFB has a good hospital, it's near Cocoa Beach, FL though so I imagine it's warm most of the time.

AirForceAquariu 11/04/2015 01:43 PM

How about the Azores? Usually a short tour for military but you could volunteer for more than a year probably.

There is Maui (not sure what all is really there but the AF is there), there is Japan (sounds weird but you are at the doorstep of the entire Pacific), and you could look in to an assignment in any of the Florida locations.

vikinglord13 11/07/2015 02:13 PM

I'm currently at NAS Pensacola. If you're looking at the Northern Gulf Coast area (NAS Pensacola, NAS Whiting, Hurlburt AFB, Eglin AFB, Tyndall AFB... etc. It does get relatively cold here in the winter (if you want strict warmth.
Keesler AFB is over in Biloxi, MS. From what I understand though, there isn't any good snorkeling there.

I'm not familiar with NAS New Orleans, I just know it exists.

lafrance 12/24/2015 02:28 AM

best beat would be okinawa, japan we just moved from there being stationed there for three years. the fish stores can almost get you any thing you want and for a reasonable price, including inverts. and plus the ocean easily accessible.

bhbell 01/07/2016 05:41 PM

Kwajalein is a GOCO, Government owned Contractor operated facility. They have, or used to have, a small Hospital there but not civil service positions. In total there were only a couple dozen military and civil service positions there and they were mostly contract oversight types of assignments in their specific area of expertise.
I spent 3 years there and that started me on reefkeeping.

Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa would be my recommendations.

Lacy 01/19/2016 11:07 PM

We spent 3 years at NAS Key West and loved it. That was about 23 years ago. I know it has downsized since then, but I don't know anything about the hospital there. I personally would love to move to somewhere like Okinawa, Hawaii or Guam. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Lacy 04/25/2016 01:35 AM

Did you ever move?

CindyK 05/11/2016 04:15 PM

We were stationed at NS Gulfport, MS for a while, near Biloxi. I don't remember any good snorkeling or scuba.

I did a lot of diving when we were stationed in at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico but I think it's closed :(

MrSkumFrog 07/11/2016 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacy (Post 24487025)
Did you ever move?

I applied for a specialty nursing job in Okinawa. I got a response that read "you met qualifications and your resume has been forwarded to the hiring office". This was 4 months ago. I didn't get a rejection letter yet, so I'm feeling positive.

MrSkumFrog 07/11/2016 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lafrance (Post 24205371)
best beat would be okinawa, japan we just moved from there being stationed there for three years. the fish stores can almost get you any thing you want and for a reasonable price, including inverts. and plus the ocean easily accessible.

So
If you were to move back; what reefing supplies would you take with you? Was there anything difficult to get?

bdunn12 07/19/2016 11:24 AM

Keesler AFB has second largest AF hospital. It's really close to a lot of good snorkeling areas. I just wouldn't snorkel anywhere here in Biloxi though!

Ches 08/06/2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSkumFrog (Post 24623398)
So
If you were to move back; what reefing supplies would you take with you? Was there anything difficult to get?

I highly recommend you bring everything you want to have. There are not many large tanks(100g+) sold in Okinawa or the supplies and equipment you're used to. If you find something, it will cost you a pretty penny. I'm in Okinawa and I order everything online. Luckily I brought my tank with me. Check out the Okinawa Saltwater Aquarium on FB.

MrSkumFrog 11/13/2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ches (Post 24668199)
I highly recommend you bring everything you want to have. There are not many large tanks(100g+) sold in Okinawa or the supplies and equipment you're used to. If you find something, it will cost you a pretty penny. I'm in Okinawa and I order everything online. Luckily I brought my tank with me. Check out the Okinawa Saltwater Aquarium on FB.

Thanks for the input.
Are T5 bulbs available there and are they compatible with US fixtures?

jmcdaniel0 12/02/2016 11:03 PM

I tried to get stationed somewhere like that, but for infantry there was not much available

ReefBae 02/22/2017 09:44 AM

I was deployed to Okinawa back in the day and we would snorkel after work. It was AmAzInG!!!

ReefBae 02/22/2017 09:45 AM

Oki!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsixx (Post 24088912)
Okinawa lol... Thats about as tropical as it gets. Good snorkeling and scuba diving too.

Yes, I was deployed to Okinawa in 2003 at Camp Hansen. It was so fun there honestly. Alot better than the desert! Great snorkeling experience. I also got my divers certificate as well which was a plus!
Cheers

JamesFWB 03/11/2017 07:05 PM

I'm heading to kwajalein at the end of the year. Can I bring back any coral in my checkbag or is it a no no?