Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced Topics (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Algae growth (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678993)

ponokareefer 06/24/2018 04:28 PM

Algae growth

I am looking at setting up a system for growing algae out of my display. I have a refugium, but I don’t feel it is big enough. I don’t have much more room under my tank to set up something different. I saw a thread on here a while ago that I can’t find now where the individual had set up a flow of water along the back top rim in a self made container, along the whole rim. The displays lights supplied the light and I think they set up a pump to supply the water at one end and there was a hole at the opposite end that drained back into the tank. It was only about 3-4 inches wide. I have an enclosed top so it wouldn’t be seen. What I was hoping to find out is how much water flow I should have. Has anyone else done a similar setup?

Scrubber_steve 06/24/2018 05:22 PM

This is a Paul B idea. He used plastic guttering.
He has sinced removed this set up & went with a standard ats.

ponokareefer 06/24/2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinfallz (Post 25460200)
This is a Paul B idea. He used plastic guttering.
He has sinced removed this set up & went with a standard ats.

Maybe I’ll have to try to build one.

Crusinjimbo 06/25/2018 04:51 AM

I had a similar system (acrylic trough across the back of a 10G with a red LED bar on top) that was a river scrubber and it worked, was easy to service and produced a lot of algae. The small pump was attached directly to the bottom of the trough to mitigate head loss and the whole thing lifted off for service. Ran for a year or so with zero problems. I’ve used several types of ATS systems on various tanks without mechanical filtration (most of the time) with success.

ponokareefer 06/25/2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusinjimbo (Post 25460417)
I had a similar system (acrylic trough across the back of a 10G with a red LED bar on top) that was a river scrubber and it worked, was easy to service and produced a lot of algae. The small pump was attached directly to the bottom of the trough to mitigate head loss and the whole thing lifted off for service. Ran for a year or so with zero problems. I’ve used several types of ATS systems on various tanks without mechanical filtration (most of the time) with success.

Trough, that's the word I was looking for. I think I might actually have more of the equipment for an ATS, so will give that a try first.

laverda 07/03/2018 04:08 PM

An ATS can be really simple and fit into your sump or overflow box. You just need the plastic mesh and a grow light. An overflow box is great place to incorporate one. Hang some mesh so the water flows over it and light it.

LeJeune981 08/10/2018 07:41 PM

Could do an upflow ats as well.. that's what I run and it works great

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk