Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seahorses & Pipefish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Fluval Spec V set up for Dwarf Seahorses (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2377828)

cpbirds407 02/07/2014 06:33 PM

Fluval Spec V set up for Dwarf Seahorses

1 Attachment(s)
I just set up this tank about a month and a half ago. I want to put dwarf Seahorses in there. I know I have to add a few more branching stuff in there however, my question is this... Is there tank raised dwarf Seahorses that eat prepared or frozen foods?

shrimpgal 02/07/2014 06:54 PM

Dwarf seahorses only eat live foods
You will be hatching live brine daily to keep them but once you get into the habit it is easy
Good luck

rayjay 02/07/2014 10:43 PM

IMO, hatching, enriching and feeding live brine nauplii becomes a real PITA in time.
Probably the number one reason so many quit keeping dwarfs.

kudagirl 02/08/2014 03:13 PM

What size is your tank,just looking at the picture you could have about a hundred dwarf seahorses in there

cpbirds407 02/10/2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 22410559)
IMO, hatching, enriching and feeding live brine nauplii becomes a real PITA in time.
Probably the number one reason so many quit keeping dwarfs.

Yes! I once had bangaii cardinal babies and I was feeding newly hatched brine and it surely was a pain in the neck. I don't really want to do that but I really want sea horses. So... I'm torn!

cpbirds407 02/10/2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudagirl (Post 22412656)
What size is your tank,just looking at the picture you could have about a hundred dwarf seahorses in there

Hi Kudagirl!

It's a 5 gallon fluval spec v. I wish I could keep 100 of them lol :inlove:

cpbirds407 02/14/2014 07:41 PM

Update! Got ponies in there!!

1 Attachment(s)
I got five ponies in the tank! My LFS brought some in for me and I'm super excited. Take a look!

cpbirds407 02/14/2014 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love them!

cpbirds407 02/14/2014 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:rollface:

cpbirds407 02/14/2014 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:twitch:

cpbirds407 02/14/2014 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one has a huge belly! I wonder if he is prego?:D

madeyemary 02/15/2014 02:04 PM

Oh my gosh, if they start breeding I've heard dwarfs can be like bunny rabbits. Have a gameplan for raising the babies!

Beautiful little guys, congrats. :)

JLynn 02/15/2014 06:48 PM

How cute!!! I love the little black and yellow one!

cpbirds407 02/16/2014 08:32 AM

Thanks guys!! I'm hoping they do have babies! Noone here in Orlando FL (that I know of) raises them. It took me 3 months to be able to find some locally and they only had 2. The others, I got from an online seller.

maroonman 02/16/2014 08:41 AM

very nice.

Aqua_DHMO_Tech 02/16/2014 08:29 PM

I had a tank going for a few months.. Hydroids took over and THEN I ordered panacure. Also suspected nematodes.. You are probably going to need to treat for hydroids. Panacure is the go-to. It will kill off many inverts however and leach from substrate for a LONG time. Available from DanU. I hope I'm allowed to post the site- seahorsesource.com. I got my dwarfs from an online retailer as well, wild caught and relatively cheap. I QT'd everyone in a methylene blue and formalin solution- except my male gave birth in QT and I transferred them right over. So if I did get nematodes it must have come from them. I just started cycling a fluval v as well. Saw this thread and picked one up from craigslist. I was going to do a nano reef after upgrading lighting, but you've got me motivated to try dwarves agains! I'm also in Orlando. What LFS did you go to?

cpbirds407 02/16/2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua_DHMO_Tech (Post 22445272)
I had a tank going for a few months.. Hydroids took over and THEN I ordered panacure. Also suspected nematodes.. You are probably going to need to treat for hydroids. Panacure is the go-to. It will kill off many inverts however and leach from substrate for a LONG time. Available from DanU. I hope I'm allowed to post the site- seahorsesource.com. I got my dwarfs from an online retailer as well, wild caught and relatively cheap. I QT'd everyone in a methylene blue and formalin solution- except my male gave birth in QT and I transferred them right over. So if I did get nematodes it must have come from them. I just started cycling a fluval v as well. Saw this thread and picked one up from craigslist. I was going to do a nano reef after upgrading lighting, but you've got me motivated to try dwarves agains! I'm also in Orlando. What LFS did you go to?

Hi Scott!! Thanks for the good info. I really appreciate it!! I went to Sea Life in Apopka. She says she can get them but it took me a while to get them. So??? Idk. Let me know if you end up getting the seahorses. I would be curious in following you if you make a thread. I believe one of myales is pregnant. We shall see he releases them from the pouch. Also, if you decide to go with a reef tank, let me know because I know a few people in Orlando that sell frags SOOOO MUCH CHEAPER than the LFS. (Yes, I know that supporting the local business blah blah...) lol I had someone go off on me because I mentioned I purchased from a guys home rather than supporting my LFS.

Aqua_DHMO_Tech 02/16/2014 08:59 PM

No problem I'll be sure and let you know what I decide! I love the dwarf seahorses except the daily hatching! Just need an efficient setup I suppose. That male definitely looks pregnant! I'll bet you'll have babies sooner than later. Good luck!

cpbirds407 02/20/2014 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He had babies!!!!!! Too many to count because they're too tiny and they hide really well!!! :bounce1:

jean9910 02/23/2014 02:18 PM

That is very cool, do you plan on raising them?

duganderson 09/28/2018 10:50 AM

CPBirds407 or others?

What modifications did you make to it? What modifications would you suggest for it.

Any tips for using this tank for Dwarf Seahorses?

Thank you, Doug