Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Seahorses & Pipefish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Acceptable Corals (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2659384)

devildog999 11/25/2017 06:59 AM

Acceptable Corals

Morning,

I have a website I go to that I find is great for letting us know certain living things that are good and not good for seahorses. That being said, some things are not mentioned so someone please let me know if these corals are safe to keep with seahorses.

Duncan Coral - Duncanopsammia axifuga - I think this one is but better to ask than stay ignorant

Elegance Coral - Catalaphyllia jardinei - I actually pretty sure this is NOT okay for seahorses but I want it to be so I will ask and hope I am wrong (though I'm pretty sure I'm not).

Last is an invert - what about scallops? I know clams are a no go but haven't seen anything regarding scallops.

Thank you all, appreciated

rayjay 11/26/2017 08:54 AM

Can't advise on Ducans as I've never had any.
Definitely no Elegance as they have stingers.
I am only guessing, but I'd say no to scallops as the same possibilities apply as in perhaps getting shut on a seahorse tail causing a wound that can fester.
I don't know though just how hard they clamp, but I know clams can definitely clamp down hard.

vlangel 11/26/2017 08:26 PM

I have kept duncan coral with seahorses without a problem. I think they are listed as some risk on the org however. Kind of like acans.

urban_s 12/04/2017 11:45 AM

#Following

SimplyDani 12/11/2017 10:15 PM

I Personally have not keptseahorses before, but from everything I've read on them and from my marine bio class, i think you can't go wrong keeping zoanthids with them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

socalireefdood 01/19/2018 01:18 AM

following as well. always wanted a seahorse and pipe fish tank

fandiqueen 03/07/2018 05:10 PM

seahorse tanks are great but its tough if you really like corals , I had a seahorse tank and zoeys are great some leather corals but short of that it gets kind of dicey . My seahorses were definitely my favorite but you almost have to dedicate your entire tank around just them, but for the size of tank you need for them its hard to not want some of the more interesting corals.

porterrick 03/07/2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlangel (Post 25285645)
I have kept duncan coral with seahorses without a problem. I think they are listed as some risk on the org however. Kind of like acans.

So Duncans are okay to keep with seahorses?

vlangel 03/07/2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterrick (Post 25383540)
So Duncans are okay to keep with seahorses?

It depends on your tolerance for risk. I never had a problem but duncans do have a skeleton and if the flesh recedes the seahorses can get a skin abrasion or puncture.