Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Herbie question (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680087)

fltekdiver 07/11/2018 07:26 PM

Herbie question

On the emergency drain, could I use a bulkhead that a hose connect's to and just drop the hose into the sump instead of hard plumbing the emergency drain ?

lapin 07/11/2018 07:37 PM

Yes. Make sure the hose is big enough to handle the flow. Once water gets into the bulkhead, hard or soft plumbing will work. From GMA reef :" The emergency line is usually also submerged to limit any sound from splashing from running a trickle. This outlet should also be submerged to a depth of by 1″ or less.(your hose) If the main valve siphon gets blocked, the emergency pipe will take on the extra water. If the e-drain needs to go full-siphon, you don’t want to impede that by submerging the outlet down too far because that is where air is purged."

mcgyvr 07/12/2018 04:48 AM

Sure.. you can use "hose"... (more typically called "tubing" for what you are referring to I believe) on any of the plumbing in a tank..
Note that typically tubing is more of a restriction than the equivalent pipe because the barb fitting necks down so that tubing can go over it.

You can also use "spa flex" hose which is basically flexible PVC..It glues into the same fittings as PVC pipe and allows some "flexibility"

fltekdiver 07/12/2018 04:58 AM

OK thank you I appreciate it. I have some extra 1" black vinyl tubing left over from my return pump line that I used. It will make it easier to plumb rather the hard plumbing with a coupler etc

Thank you

Vinny Kreyling 07/12/2018 07:46 AM

Typically the emergency hose should be able to "make noise" so you know there is something wrong, try not to submerge it.

mcgyvr 07/12/2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling (Post 25468807)
Typically the emergency hose should be able to "make noise" so you know there is something wrong, try not to submerge it.

That would apply to a "dry" emergency like on a bean setup..
On a herbie the "emergency" has water flowing in it at all times and keeping it elevated will just make noise ALL the time..
Water flowing in that emergency pipe in a herbie doesn't mean something is "Wrong"..

Vinny Kreyling 07/12/2018 08:21 AM

Sorry Boss, thinking "Bean Drain"

mcgyvr 07/12/2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling (Post 25468822)
Sorry Boss, thinking "Bean Drain"

Nothing wrong with thinking of the best.. :beer:
I wouldn't build a tank without one.. even if given a tank with 2 holes its either going to be modded or trashed in favor of a bean setup.

fltekdiver 07/12/2018 12:45 PM

I have a 1" and 3/4" drains in.the corner weir.
Tank is a 65 gallon

I'll be using the 3/4" for the main siphon with a spears gate valve, and the 1" for the emergency

The return line is 1" black vinyl tubing that will go up over the back of the tank

mcgyvr 07/12/2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fltekdiver (Post 25468954)
I have a 1" and 3/4" drains in.the corner weir.
Tank is a 65 gallon

I'll be using the 3/4" for the main siphon with a spears gate valve, and the 1" for the emergency

The return line is 1" black vinyl tubing that will go up over the back of the tank

Sounds like a plan...:thumbsup: