Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Tentative Combination of Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2709023)

wsboyette 07/29/2020 08:30 AM

Tentative Combination of Fishes

In my 60 gallon Fish-only, I am considering the following combination of fishes:

2 Maroon Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Flame Angel
2 Javanese (Blue Velvet) Damsel
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Maybe)

Would you think the damsels might cause trouble, as they are known to get aggressive ? Or would Blue Damsels have less potential for trouble than the Javanese ? And is it advisable to have more than one Maroon Clown ?

MondoBongo 07/29/2020 10:01 AM

i would probably go with one, or the other angel, but IMO 60 gallons isn't a great size for any angel due to the footprint of the tank.

flasher wrasse should be ok, but definitely get a lid.

damsel might cause issues in a tank that small, they can be aggressive.

Sk8r 07/30/2020 11:20 AM

Blue Velvets are a terror even singly. No, no, no, go back, kemo sabe, it's a trap.

wsboyette 07/30/2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 25689057)
Blue Velvets are a terror even singly. No, no, no, go back, kemo sabe, it's a trap.

Thanks, Sk8r ! I think I'll just stay away from Damsels altogether.

Sk8r 07/30/2020 01:22 PM

The only rational, fairly decently behaved damsels in my experience are the little yellowtails or, with greater caution, the fiji blue.

Michael Hoaster 07/31/2020 12:08 PM

I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.

wsboyette 07/31/2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster (Post 25689217)
I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.

Maroon clowns are very bold; I had one years ago that would eat right out of my hand, and if I stuck an empty hand in the tank he would peck at it (looking for some food).

wsboyette 07/31/2020 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the first two specimens came home from the LFS today; two Maroon Clownfish.....

Sk8r 08/01/2020 03:36 PM

My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.

wsboyette 08/01/2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 25689402)
My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.

Guess I've made my bed now though with the Maroons; it is my favorite clownfish. I had one years and years ago (1990s) for about 7 years, he was a beautiful specimen..... Used to eat food right out of my fingers.

Sk8r 08/01/2020 04:47 PM

Then you know them. ;) Remember they do get pushy when they mate. I've always admired them, but after two (allegedly milder-mannered) Clarkiis who bit me bloody (they have little square teeth) every time I worked in the tank, I decided a larger, naughtier clown was not for me. Seriously, they are gorgeous.