Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Help - Re-starting a Nano Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2654595)

Ohhithere 10/12/2017 03:20 PM

Help - Re-starting a Nano Reef

Hello, I am currently cycling a old tank that had a leak that I patched. I'm basically starting over again. The only problem is that I have 2 corals(frogspawn and gorgonian) and 2 fish(frostbite clown and Potters Angel). the gorg isn't looking to great and seems to be losing tissue and the frogspawn is not opening.
The tank has been running for about 2 weeks and i had to take the fish and corals out of the 10 gal i had them in. I'm not sure what to do and how to speed up the cycle. I have connections at my lfs and might just take my livestock there for them to house them for a while. I just got my diatom bloom and a bacterial outbreak(the one that makes the water cloudy). Any tips on speeding up the process? I'm basically trying to start over now that i know what i'm doing. Thanks

note: originally had this post on the reef discussion and didn't get any responses

Innovative Marine 30L
Chinese black box leds
No sump
Aqamai Powerhead
Tunze 9001
IM Hydrofill TI

Ohhithere is offl

mcgyvr 10/12/2017 04:19 PM

Well...
Are you monitoring ammonia,nitrite and nitrate levels like you should?
IF so post the results of the most recent few tests..

Did you start the tank with dry rock/dry sand or live rock/live sand or what?

Its not a smart idea to put anything living into a tank thats cycling if you are reading any ammonia.. Its toxic....

The only valid way to "speed up" cycling is to introduce live rock (that is locally sourced, fully cured/cycled and full of beneficial bacteria..

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby and you aren't off to a good start..
Might want to do a little more learning/reading to study up on the basics of how to properly maintain a tank,etc...

Uncle99 10/12/2017 05:48 PM

There are solutions to inoculate the appropriate bacteria into your tank with can speed the cycle to around 6 days......check you tube I seen a tube I think it was one of those Mr. saltwater ones which interviews a Doctor which sells to major aquariums for the same reason.

thegrun 10/12/2017 07:01 PM

Another potential issue is the tank repair. Did you use silicone? If so it should cure for at least two weeks before you add water or it will leach toxins into the water.

ReeferNoob4ever 10/13/2017 10:01 AM

I can't remember the last time I cycled a tank. I even just set up a 45 gallon freshwater for my friend and didn't cycle it because I have so many established tanks that I can seed new tanks with. That is personally the only way I would quick cycle a tank, but there are other ways aka 'Cycle in a bottle' but I've never tried it.