Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Return pump? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2708259)

mx51 06/29/2020 10:52 PM

Return pump?

I have a JBJ nano-cube 28g I’m going to set up while I buy all new equipment for my 75 gallon tank . My question is how many times per hour should your return pump flip your volume of water? I am looking at the eheim compaction 600 for the nano cube but for this set up would require 2 of them. They push 159 GPH, or if anyone has a better recommendation I would appreciate it. Thank you for any advice

billdogg 06/30/2020 03:46 PM

If possible, I'd use whatever return pump you plan on for the 75 with a ball or gate valve in the line to reduce flow.

I prefer fairly low flow through my sump - 10x or less. IMHO, more than that is just wasted energy. For in tank flow you and your tank will be much better served using in-tank power heads/wavemakers/gyres

mx51 06/30/2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdogg (Post 25683305)
If possible, I'd use whatever return pump you plan on for the 75 with a ball or gate valve in the line to reduce flow.

I prefer fairly low flow through my sump - 10x or less. IMHO, more than that is just wasted energy. For in tank flow you and your tank will be much better served using in-tank power heads/wavemakers/gyres

I agree with the power heads I’m going to put 2 mp10’s in the 28g tank. When I set the 75 gallon tank up it will have ball valves on everything. I was just wondering about return pumps for the 28g tank as it has the section in the back of the tank that serves as a sump. I’m just trying to figure out what to order for it as it is set up for dual return pumps and I will have the wave makers in the DT as well

billdogg 06/30/2020 05:19 PM

I'm not too familiar with AIO's but I would think something like a Maxijet 900 or even a sicce 1.0 (for a little more $$) would give you enough flow without breaking the bank.

mx51 06/30/2020 07:28 PM

Thank you for your help it looks like the sicce 1.0 will. It even puts out about the same GPH as the stock pumps that come with the tank. I bought the tank used from the LFS about 4 years ago and it didn’t come with pumps

Sk8r 07/01/2020 11:01 AM

Sicce and Eheim and Tunze are my go-to brands for equipment: you can get cheaper, but they often fail, and by the time you replace them, you'll spend that again, and again... Heater? Go for the best (Eheim)---for safety for tank and house.

mx51 07/01/2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 25683434)
Sicce and Eheim and Tunze are my go-to brands for equipment: you can get cheaper, but they often fail, and by the time you replace them, you'll spend that again, and again... Heater? Go for the best (Eheim)---for safety for tank and house.

Thank you Sk8r I am not looking for cheap, I want quality equipment. I have been out of the hobby for a couple years and now jumping back in. In my experience before cheap equipment only caused headaches later. But I am new to a tank of the size and the I guess you would call it a sump in the back of the tank. So I am trying to figure everything out before just jumping in and ordering equipment before talking to people. I that makes sense, LOL

Sk8r 07/01/2020 12:35 PM

You'll do fine.