Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California Reefers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Recycle your old MH Bulbs at RAP and get a FREE T-shirt (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485177)

lakerfan 10/06/2008 09:22 AM

Recycle your old MH Bulbs at RAP and get a FREE T-shirt

Hi Folks,

MarineDepot.com and IceCap Inc. are partnering up to help increase awareness on the possible pollution that our hobby is adding to the environment. While this is just a start and there are many more initiatives to come, the Recycling program for old MH bulbs is a very impactful one to the environment.

• In America, one-in-six children born every year have been exposed to mercury levels so high that they are potentially at risk for learning disabilities, motor skill impairment and short-term memory loss.
• The Mercury from one fluorescent bulb can pollute 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels for drinking.
• 100 four-foot long fluorescent lamps contain about 4 grams of mercury. It only takes 1 teaspoon of mercury to contaminate a 20-acre lake FOREVER.
• In 1992, mercury-containing lamps were added to the United States' Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) list of hazardous substances. (The EPA's regulatory threshold of 2 mg./liter is usually exceeded by mercury-containing lamps).
• Mercury was number three on the 1997 list of hazardous substances as outlined by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the EPA.
• Each year, an estimated 600 million fluorescent lamps are disposed of in U.S. landfills amounting to 30,000 pounds of mercury waste.
• The Environmental Protection Agency reports that 187 incinerators nationwide emit approximately 70,000 total pounds of mercury into the environment each year.
• In the states of California, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin, it is unlawful for anyone to dispose of fluorescent bulbs as universal waste.

A Metal Halide bulb contains 5-7 times the amount of mercury of a florescent bulb. The impact is greater and we must do something about it now.

Bring in an old MH bulb and get a free Marine Depot T-shirt at RAP(while supplies last). Icecap representatives will also be there to answer any questions you may have on the recycling program or their products.

Thank you for your support. Hope to see you all at Reef A Palooza .

Ben
Director of Operations
www.marinedepot.com

arcab4 10/06/2008 11:05 AM

nice..i'm glad you guys are taking a positive approach to this..but just asking...how should we normally dispose of our mH bulbs then?

Konadog 10/06/2008 11:41 AM

I know that Home Depot is taking fluorescent tubes, they may also take MH bulbs. If not, call any e-waste site and see if they take them.

finsoup 10/06/2008 11:47 AM

Awesome... I have a stack in my Garage I will bring!

Lewin 10/06/2008 11:51 AM

Ikea has recycling bins for them too. Along with batteries.

lakerfan 10/06/2008 12:10 PM

Thanks for the help guys. For those who pick up via will call at Marine Depot, we will have a drop bucket for the recyclying. We will also work with local clubs to help collect the bulbs for recycling.

Jadams 10/06/2008 12:27 PM

Awesome on the drop bucket at WillCall. I usually always go to WillCall and cant make it to RAP this weekend. I'll bring my bulbs next week to WillCall :D

faded1004 10/06/2008 01:00 PM

it is interesting, but i haven't been able to use a bulb to the point it needs to be thrown? i have been changing the bulbs before the end of life and giving them away or selling them cheap...

i guess i am stil in the experiemental stage adn i haven't gotten my perfect setup on my tank yet... but definately good to know it before i would need to throw any out.

bromion 10/06/2008 02:00 PM

Fantastic! Can we bring old fluorescents as well?

Macimage 10/06/2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Bring in an old MH bulb and get a free Marine Depot T-shirt at RAP(while supplies last).
Are you giving 1/2 of them away on Sat. & 1/2 on Sun. or will they be gone by Sunday if demand is high on Sat? (I want one Sunday!!).

Joyce

Konadog 10/06/2008 09:21 PM

I meant to post this earlier, here is a list of some of the permanent hazardous wast facilities that you can take old bulbs to (among other things) :

Permanent HHW / E-Waste Collection Centers

Note: It is against the law to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste to a collection site. Residents are limited to a total of 6 pieces of electronic waste per visit to a S.A.F.E. Center.

It is recommended that you call the Center first, to make sure that they accept the materials that you want to dispose of.

Gaffey Street Collection Center
1400 N. Gaffey St., San Pedro, CA 90731
Open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Hyperion Treatment Plant
7660 W. Imperial Highway, Gate B, Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Open Saturdays and Sundays, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Washington Blvd. Collection Center
2649 E. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90021
Open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

U.C.L.A. S.A.F.E. Center
550 Charles E. Young Dr. West
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Randall Street S.A.F.E. Center
11025 Randall St., Sun Valley, CA 91352
Open Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

PasadenaReefer 10/07/2008 12:50 AM

Good information to know. I have thrown 1 mh bulb away i had no idea it could have harm that great! sorry earth. I will forsure save my future bulbs and dispose of them properly. Any other things we reefers use that can harm to a greater extent than we may know?

chuch 10/07/2008 07:20 PM

cool i have about 10 just siting here

Chris@IceCap 10/11/2008 06:56 PM

Hello Southern California Reefers, please remember to bring your old MH lamps to the Marine Depot booth for recycling and receive a free Marine Depot T-Shirt!

Thanks,

Chris
IceCap Inc.

s2k 10/11/2008 07:40 PM

doh! I forgot to bring my old bulb today...

Konadog 10/11/2008 08:34 PM

Me too!

Well, I'll still recycle my old bulbs and not toss them in the trash.

reefkt 10/12/2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13529349#post13529349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog

Well, I'll still recycle my old bulbs and not toss them in the trash.

Why not save for the next year R-A-P

I almost forgot, but my boy kept telling me that when we prepared to leave.