Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   how to get rid of CO2 in tank.. from build up from Ca reactor, not ambient (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2696151)

CTaylor 06/04/2019 11:48 AM

how to get rid of CO2 in tank.. from build up from Ca reactor, not ambient

Hi,

I figurd out that my tank has too much CO2 in it. And it's likely not coming from the ambient air. I am currently aerating a 8 oz sample of tank water on my patio. in the last 30 mins it went from 7.7 to 7.93. I was hoping to hit 8.1++ . Maybe it will. My alk right now is about 8.5, after raising it with buffer. My Mg is 'too high', though at 1430 ppm. I have my protein skimmer sucking in air also from outside, as I have airline tubes going from outside to the silencer << no need for a CO2 scrubber, since it's fresh air. Unless I need bring the ambient air from natural levels to 0 (hmmm).

So I'm kinda not sure what to do here. If I get rid of the CO2 in my tank Im' hitting still only 7.95 according to my test, which is better than my peak of 7.83 or so I had before. If it's not too much CO2 and not lack of alk, then I dont know what it is, but getting rid of the CO2 might be one part of it, and I'm sure it's coming from the CA reactor << how can I position the efluent to vent off co2?
TY

Kevin Guthrie 06/05/2019 08:48 AM

If your skimmer and sump are enclosed try leaving the stand doors open for a couple of days.

You could drip the effluent to where the skimmer will get it, but that might get rid of the CA before it gets to your coral. And you could get a kalk reactor.

CTaylor 06/05/2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie (Post 25594677)
If your skimmer and sump are enclosed try leaving the stand doors open for a couple of days.

You could drip the effluent to where the skimmer will get it, but that might get rid of the CA before it gets to your coral. And you could get a kalk reactor.

TY
The stand is always open.. my windows to my apt are always partly open. Kalk reactor won't get rid of CO2.

*how can dripping into skimmer get rid of the CA? it will precip out?
Also I'm still trying to figure out why the pH peaks at 8 maaxxxxxxx after I aerate for a few hours outside. So for me it's CO2 and something else. ugh lol

Vinny Kreyling 06/05/2019 09:55 AM

Can you run effluent through a 2nd chamber?
That is what they are for.

CTaylor 06/05/2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling (Post 25594699)
Can you run effluent through a 2nd chamber?
That is what they are for.

I do that :)
pH in first reactor chamber is 6.55 average. Even after I aerate a water sample, though it peaks at only 8.0. So ther eis CO2 coming off in aeration, but it's 1/2 my pH issue. I suppose to difference from 8.0 -8.2+ can be testing error. I'll recalibrate with supposedly fresh calibration (pinpoint has no expiration date). I'll also get a new pH regent test to back it up.

But my post was CO2, so I'll stay on that.
**If someone else out there has a 8.2+ pH tank does what I did (take a water sample and aerate it out side) what would that pH be? 8.3-8.4? If tht's the case then CO2 may not be my 'issue' with pH.

If there was test kit directly for CO2 that would be nice also!

reefgeezer 06/05/2019 10:12 AM

CO2 levels may be a function of build-up locally under the stand as the CO2 laden effluent from the calcium reactor gives it up to the atmosphere. Even blowing it off with the skimmer or installing a 2nd chamber might not help. The CO2 has to go somewhere. If that "somewhere " is under the stand and even with the doors open, levels may rise if there isn't any air movement. Can you run a fan to prevent any excessive build-up?

CTaylor 06/05/2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgeezer (Post 25594707)
CO2 levels may be a function of build-up locally under the stand as the CO2 laden effluent from the calcium reactor gives it up to the atmosphere. Even blowing it off with the skimmer or installing a 2nd chamber might not help. The CO2 has to go somewhere. If that "somewhere " is under the stand and even with the doors open, levels may rise if there isn't any air movement. Can you run a fan to prevent any excessive build-up?

Good point ReefG :) ..
CO2 is heavier than the rest of the air I'm pretty sure. So it makes sense it's pooling in the sump! . That's very interesting lol :) .. really. I have a clip on fan I'm going to attach now and see what happens.

reefgeezer 06/05/2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTaylor (Post 25594715)
Good point ReefG :) ..
CO2 is heavier than the rest of the air I'm pretty sure. So it makes sense it's pooling in the sump! . That's very interesting lol :) .. really. I have a clip on fan I'm going to attach now and see what happens.

I hope it helps. FWIW, it may be unreasonable to expect pH up to get to 8.3. CO2 levels are higher in the outside atmosphere and if you believe the majority of those that are supposed to know, getting higher. Since the pH of your tank is based on an equilibrium reaction with the atmospheric CO2, pH level norms need to be set a little lower. Additionally, we used to run alkalinity in the 10+ dKh range. Now 7-8 dKh in more prevalent. That lowers potential pH levels some also. I could see 7.7 at night to 8.1 in the daytime or so as probably a decent "norm" these days.

Kevin Guthrie 06/11/2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTaylor (Post 25594688)
TY
*how can dripping into skimmer get rid of the CA? it will precip out?

Possibly. Your skimmer is an overpowered aerator so it will help blow out excess CO2. If the calcium is at saturation, some of it will precipitate out in the process.
If your skimmer's air supply comes in thru a hose, just make sure the other end of the hose is out somewhere where there can't be any CO2 built up.

Kevin Guthrie 06/11/2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTaylor (Post 25594688)
TY
Kalk reactor won't get rid of CO2.

Kalk raises pH. It should help scrub some CO2 in the process but who cares as long as the pH goes up? Isn't that the goal?

CTaylor 06/11/2019 11:43 PM

I have a co2 meter now for my apt... It's 770 with window open a few inches and sh*t fan (lol) on in the bathroom (vents to outside). So i'm not sure how that slightely elevated level will affect my tank pH. Then fan helpe da few hundreths of a point. I'm getting fresh pH reagent delivered friday (salifert) as well as milwaukkee calibration fluid , as opposed to pinpoint.

CTaylor 06/11/2019 11:44 PM

My goal is to have things as normal and natural as possible. So that would really be to raise pH by lowering the unnatural levels of CO2 :)

reefgeezer 06/12/2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTaylor (Post 25596522)
My goal is to have things as normal and natural as possible. So that would really be to raise pH by lowering the unnatural levels of CO2 :)

Did the fan under the stand make any difference?

CTaylor 06/12/2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgeezer (Post 25596573)
Did the fan under the stand make any difference?

I tihnk so.. but i ended up getting wagter on it.. and then reorderd it and got the wrong size lol. I'm trying to get the right one (6") .
But I'm pretty sure it increased by about .04

CTaylor 06/13/2019 05:33 PM

I tested with fresh salifert pH kit. It shows 8.15-8.2, pretty clearly. The calibrated meter shows 7.88 ~7.9 . Pretty big difference for being just calibrated. But it also makes sense. that I'm at 8.15+, not 7.9 given i'm at 8 dkh (not super high, but enough) and CO2 levels in my apt are 550-800 max... not too high (I have a meter now for that :-D )