Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   2 Aqualifters or AC pump for ATO pump (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680467)

Aquavaj 07/18/2018 09:51 AM

2 Aqualifters or AC pump for ATO pump

I've been using a Tom's aqualifter as my ato pump and it's reliability has been sketch lately. It has failed to pump 3 times in the span of 2 months at random times. One weekend when I was out of town I came home to a completely empty return chamber cause it didn't pump so no top off was done.

I have a used spare one so I'm thinking of doubling them up so if one failed to pump the other can pick up the slack. I tried a 85g/hr ac pump but the head pressure wasn't enough to get up to the display tank. I do have a 150g/hr one coming in this friday and I think it should have enough head pressure to overcome the height.

Would this be more reliable than 2 aqualifters? I was under the impression that most AC pumps were meant to run continuously instead of on-off.

mcgyvr 07/18/2018 10:18 AM

The aqualifters are AC pumps too.. Just diaphragm vs centrifugal or other..
They are typically pretty reliable and having 2 IMO is likely better than any other unnamed single pump..

callsign4223 07/19/2018 08:23 AM

BRS sells aqualifter refurb kits. It took me 15 minutes to do mine and it made it like new again. I'm pretty sure it was the kalk in my ato that gummed mine up. The refurb kit is like $5. I plan on making it a yearly maintenance item now.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-...diaphragm.html

moondoggy4 07/20/2018 06:56 PM

^^^^ Plus there is a how to video as well.

FlyingFishSKYw 07/21/2018 12:32 AM

I use a Spectrapure basic pump for my ATO. It’s been trouble free for over two years now. I think I paid $129??

It pumps from my laundry room down into the crawl space, then back up the 5+’ to my sump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uncle Luke 07/21/2018 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFishSKYw (Post 25473009)
I use a Spectrapure basic pump for my ATO. It’s been trouble free for over two years now. I think I paid $129??

It pumps from my laundry room down into the crawl space, then back up the 5+’ to my sump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the same exact pump. Excellent product. Best part is that there is no back siphon.

eamike261 07/21/2018 09:51 AM

Curious as well... thinking about Hydor Smart ATO but finding a pump for it sounds like a nightmare. The TOM Aqualifter is a super old product and is $25+ now compared to the cheap prices people on forum's used to pay.

Can't find any product that's similar so I'm thinking about just getting a 150gph pump and sticking a ball valve on it... but I don't know if the ball valve will inhibit it's ability to reach the advertised height?

Silly clownfish 07/23/2018 07:02 AM

I use an Aqualifter with a Hydor Smart ATO. Yes, finding a pump with the right flow rate for your setup can be tricky with the Hydor ATO. I shaved Erin the past used 2 Aqualifters as described above for redundancy, but got tired of having 2 pumps, plus I seem to recall pulling on for another purpose.

One maintenance thing that I do with the Aqualifter is run vinegar through it for 10minutes or so every couple of months - especially right before vacations. Since I use kalk in my ATO, I would consider this necessary with any pump. I have used the rebuild kit once too. I don’t think it was necessary in my case, it didn’t decide that until I had taken it apart.

callsign4223 07/23/2018 08:08 AM

Never thought of running vinegar through it, not a bad idea.