Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tunze (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Osmolator 3155 short fill duration and random high level alarm (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643853)

dpstrand 07/10/2017 03:27 PM

Osmolator 3155 short fill duration and random high level alarm

My 6 year old tunze osmolator seems to finally be aging. It has served me well until now. I noticed a few days ago it's filling duration seems to have reduced to 1-2 seconds instead of the normal 10-15 seconds. Then yesterday the high water alarm went off despite the float switch looking seated and normal. A power cycled seemed to restore it to normal operation for about 24 hours and then the high water alarm went off again. Can this unit be salvaged or is it time to buy another?

Thank you Roger!

dpstrand 07/11/2017 11:57 AM

I have seen other threads that suspected water entry into the controller. I don't believe that has happened as it has not moved in quite some time.

Roger, is it worth sending it in to you for repair?

dpstrand 07/13/2017 06:12 PM

Roger any suggestions? I am currently just powering it on a couple times per day and it is working, but I can not leave it on or eventually the high water level alarm turns on, which means the angry wife alarm turns on too. Thank goodness for apex fusion :)

rvitko 07/17/2017 01:07 PM

Water entry will be too high and too low on at the same time.

You are welcome to send it in, but if the pump is several years old that could be a cause, a dying pump can put out a magnetic field, since the float switch is magnetic if the wires are close the float wire will act as an antenna and pick up the field causing a float alarm.

dpstrand 07/17/2017 05:09 PM

Oh! They are fairly close. Within about 1.5 feet of each other. I will try and separate them and see if that fixes the high water alarm first, and if so I will buy a new pump. Thanks!

rvitko 07/18/2017 08:44 AM

That is honestly pretty far, usually we see trouble when the pump cord is zip tied to the float wire. It could be a factor but I was thinking more along the lines of direct contact between the wires at some point.

dpstrand 07/21/2017 04:26 PM

I found the float wire running right next to my top off container. Since re-routing it the high level alarm has not fired, so it is either a lucky streak or this fixed it. Oddly enough the short pump duration seems back to normal too, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Anyhow I will continue to monitor it and replace the pump if the short duration symptom returns. Thank you for the help!

rvitko 07/24/2017 09:39 AM

Keep me posted, I am off to Germany next Monday, I will be checking in and can get small parts sent.

dpstrand 08/15/2017 11:38 PM

It has been acting up again off and on. When it alarms and stops working I found the low water light blinks and the high water light is solid, and unplugging then plugging it back in will restore it, however with short duration pump cycles as described in the first post.

I found I have the older 11v power supply (p/n 04151-110160) and on a suggestion from one of your other threads I tried my 6095 power supply with 12v selected and it pumps much stronger for the full 10 seconds and seems to be working correctly again, no beeping so far.

Based on this, should I order the 5012.010 to replace the original power supply?

rvitko 08/16/2017 08:29 AM

Generally, a flashing too low light and a solid too high light indicates water damage. This basically means there is a short or added resistance on the board and it is shutting down to avoid any run on or other failure. Typically a bad power supply results in off and on cycling every time the pump is triggered to run. It could be that the water damage is very minor and the stronger power supply overcomes the resistance. I would suspect that a power supply tip was plugged in wet and there is minor water damage under the power socket and the ideal would be to get that fixed first as it could worsen over time from the combination of DC current and salt present.

dpstrand 08/16/2017 11:02 AM

Can I send it in for repair?

rvitko 08/16/2017 11:22 AM

Of course!

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Incude a note with return address and phone number.

dpstrand 09/13/2017 12:49 PM

Thank you Roger. I have not sent it in yet because it has been working without issue with the replacement 12v 6095 power supply that I am temporarily using. At some point I want to restore my 6095 so I will still need to send it in, but not sure when yet.