Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Tamarin Wrasse Primer. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1937254)

Western_reefer 11/22/2010 08:26 PM

Tamarin Wrasse Primer.

I just pretty much copied a few things from the Leopard Wrasse Primer if that's alright.

Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) success stories.

Please post on this thread if you have had success keeping a leopard wrasse (let's define "success" are kept 1 year or more)

The following information would be helpful (add anything I might have left out):

• Source (LFS, online, etc)
  • Method of introduction (quarantine, straight-to-tank, etc)
  • Tank set up (reef, fowlr, size, age, etc)
  • How many other attempts, if any, you made to keep a leopard wrasse and thoughts on why this attempt was successful (if applicable)

Also, Mods, if you can, put this Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse Primer in the Fish Primer Series please.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1851232

Western_reefer 11/22/2010 08:34 PM

• Source: LFS, got it when they JUST brought it in from the wholesalers, it was still in the bag.
  • Method of introduction: Drip, float, and straight to tank.
  • Tank set up: SPS/LPS Dominated reef, 28 gallon Nano DT, 30 gallon Sump/fuge, tank has been set up for a year +, I also have a thick sandbed, several inches.
  • Other attempts: First time getting one.
  • Tank mates: Other friendly wrasses.

Here are a few pictures, its 1" in length. Its already pecking at the rocks eating pods.
[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/b7dso1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/25i2afo.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/zuqtcp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/1zqsyee.jpg[/IMG]

Pnoytoitz 11/23/2010 01:02 AM

How much did you pay for that?? :lol:
Nice score Moses .

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pnoytoitz (Post 17958821)
How much did you pay for that?? :lol:
Nice score Moses .

$15. lol
Thanks!

bradleyj 11/23/2010 07:37 AM

I also got mine when he was very young and small from my LFS. He was about an inch in size and is now close to 6 inches in length, I've had him close to 3 yrs now and is in my mixed reef with many other tankmates. Mostly wrasses, and also added him straight to the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../014copy-2.jpg

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 10:39 AM

Very nice!! How often/what do you feed him?

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 01:58 PM

Has anyone ever kept a Blue Striped Tamarin Wrasse, Anampses femininus?

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 03:27 PM

Well, my Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) came out at about 1:20pm, I fed the tank at 1:30pm and its not eating yet. But, it is picking at the sand and rocks eating pods or something. The Male Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) which was in the tank for a little while would sometimes chase the Yellow tail, but, it doesn't look like hes doing any damage to the yellowtail/fins, but it would leave it alone most of the time, I guess its normal as its a new addition.

reppo13 11/23/2010 04:17 PM

Awesome pickup but thats one very small tank for a tamarin wrasse even if its 1". I see no sand at all which could pose a problem for that beautiful specimen. Nice LPS in some of those pics.

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reppo13 (Post 17961395)
Awesome pickup but thats one very small tank for a tamarin wrasse even if its 1". I see no sand at all which could pose a problem for that beautiful specimen. Nice LPS in some of those pics.

No sand? LOL I have plenty of sand, very front area is 1.5" deep and as it gets closer to the back it gets deeper, the back area is 3" deep.

reppo13 11/23/2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western_reefer (Post 17961407)
No sand? LOL I have plenty of sand, very front area is 1.5" deep and as it gets closer to the back it gets deeper, the back area is 3" deep.

WHEW:eek1:

FTS please i want to see more of your miniature reef

Western_reefer 11/23/2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reppo13 (Post 17961418)
WHEW:eek1:

FTS please i want to see more of your miniature reef

Huh?

I'll take a video of the whole tank later today.

bradleyj 11/23/2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western_reefer (Post 17959905)
Very nice!! How often/what do you feed him?

I feed the fish 3-5 times a day. But Anampses wrasses feed all day long on the live rock looking for pods. Mine will eat any prepared food also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Western_reefer (Post 17960749)
Has anyone ever kept a Blue Striped Tamarin Wrasse, Anampses femininus?

Very few that I know of. They are very expensive and hard to acquire. But there are a few, Kevin Kohen from Liveaquaria is one that I know of.

Western_reefer 11/24/2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradleyj (Post 17961464)
I feed the fish 3-5 times a day. But Anampses wrasses feed all day long on the live rock looking for pods. Mine will eat any prepared food also.

Very few that I know of. They are very expensive and hard to acquire. But there are a few, Kevin Kohen from Liveaquaria is one that I know of.

Oh, okay.

Here are a few videos of the tank.
View My Video
View My Video

Western_reefer 11/28/2010 08:52 PM

Well, the wrasse seems to be doing well so far, swimming around and picking at the rocks. I don't think it eats frozen foods yet. Maybe I should try smearing some food over some rocks and see if it picks at that? Hmm....

iamwrasseman 11/28/2010 09:23 PM

i will have to tah this bad boy as tamrins are really high on my list . be back with some pictures soon !

Western_reefer 11/28/2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamwrasseman (Post 17981271)
i will have to tah this bad boy as tamrins are really high on my list . be back with some pictures soon !

What does tah mean? lol Also, how long have you had yours for? Does it eat frozen foods?

iamwrasseman 11/28/2010 09:33 PM

Tag i was wrighting fast so i could go to bed lol sorry i will get some pictures on monday
tag
tag
tag

teemee 11/28/2010 09:45 PM

I picked up a Yellow-tail Tamarin on Friday, after almost ten days that my beloved leopard wrasse has not materialized :( I couldn't resist.
Still don't know about my leopard wrasse - she was very healthy and active...
Tamarin has been eating pods, nothing prepared yet, as far as I can tell.
Getting along will with all tankmates, other than a nasty tomato clown that I should probably switch out with a kinder younger one.
Thanks for this thread - i will for sure be tagging along.
btw - mine is about 3", in great shape...

EnderG60 11/29/2010 09:50 AM

Ive done 2 red tails.

Both purchased form a LFS still in the bag. Drip aclimated, and added right to the display. tank is a 300g mixed reef.

First one was about 3.5", and was eating mysis the first day, had him 3 months and lost him in a mini crash. Second one was 5" and was attacked by the tang in the first day and given a big cut which it never recovered from.

I will try again if I can find another nice specimen, but I will put him in the frag tank(wiht sand) first this time to make sure he is eating and hardy before putting him in the tank.

The blue stripe tamarin is pretty much my favorite fish ever, but with how picky these fish can be and the price I cant bring myself to even consider trying one.

blennielove 11/29/2010 03:43 PM

Congrats on a beautiful Tamarin wrasse, Wester_reefer!
Question, I know you quarantined your Hoeven's wrasse...and I've noted that many people buy them from their LFS out of the "bag" and drip acclimated directly to the tank...what is your thinking process behind this practice, so that I can learn it!
Thanks!!!

Western_reefer 11/29/2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blennielove (Post 17984302)
Congrats on a beautiful Tamarin wrasse, Wester_reefer!
Question, I know you quarantined your Hoeven's wrasse...and I've noted that many people buy them from their LFS out of the "bag" and drip acclimated directly to the tank...what is your thinking process behind this practice, so that I can learn it!
Thanks!!!

Thanks!
I don't QT any of my fish. :p IMO, its a better idea to buy sensitive fish still in the wholesaler bag as you will have a higher success rate than buying it when the LFS put it into their holding tanks. But that's just my opinion.

Western_reefer 12/04/2010 11:52 AM

Well, I've had my Tamarin for 13 days and so far so good. He doesn't eat any frozen foods that I know of yet. But, I think he is eating live baby brine shrimp as hes got a pretty full belly at all times.

AfricaOffroad 12/04/2010 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 juvenile anampses caeruleopunctatus
Caught locally.

One is a fully juvenile (first pic)
The second is starting to change to its adult colour (second pic)

Both pretty hardy, eat whatever I feed and are constantly foraging in tank.

Western_reefer 12/04/2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad (Post 18005873)
I have 2 juvenile anampses caeruleopunctatus
Caught locally.

One is a fully juvenile (first pic)
The second is starting to change to its adult colour (second pic)

Both pretty hardy, eat whatever I feed and are constantly foraging in tank.

Very nice! I wish I could catch fish locally and put them in my tank. lol