Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Disease Treatment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Fish haven't eaten for a week and a half. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2632803)

Reefer1991 04/11/2017 06:46 PM

Fish haven't eaten for a week and a half.

Hey guys, I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if I should post this hear, but on 4/2 I got a coral beauty and a pink watchman goby in the mail. I have them in a 20 gallon quarantine with some pvc pipes, an airstone, and a hob filter which I seeded with my display tank (3 month old 75 gallon mixed reef). The coral beauty has awesome colors and looks very healthy. He is always pecking at the pvc pipes like he's hungry but will not eat anything I offer. I've tried frozen mysis, blood worms, rods fish eggs, brine shrimp, Omega one garlic flakes, ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes, new life spectrum pellets, and also tried all of them with garlic juice. Neither the coral beauty or the watchman goby shown any interest. They act link I didn't even put food in the tank. At this point I'm pretty worried they're going to starve even thought they look healthy. The goby looks a little thin. How long can fish go without eating? Any advice to get them eating? I really like this coral beauty so Id like to get him eating. Thanks!

Reefer1991 04/11/2017 06:47 PM

I have also tried ocean nutrition algae sheets. Ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates are 2-5 ppm

jam.jo 04/12/2017 12:41 AM

Try feeding your coral beauty Spirulina or Spirulina brine shrimp, tangs and angels are known for pecking at rocks for algae so you have to make sure they are getting plenty of algae in their diet. I use Julian Sprung's sea veggies, attach to clip and put on inside of glass. You can try feeding your little goby plankton, small Mysis, and other carnivorous frozen foods. Your fish likely will not eat pellet or flake food while in QT especially if they were wild collected and not accustomed to eating pellets or flakes. After they are settled into the display you can try feeding both to see if they will start to accept pellets, but I only feed my fish Seaweed Extreme pellets or Thera A Life Spectrum Pellets for my tangs (the pellets are too big for small fish). Pellets or flakes are very nutrient dense and can throw off your phosphate and nitrate balance in the tank and cause an algae problem if overfed which is easy to do with pellets. I typically mix Mysis, spirulina brine shrimp, plankton, and Cyclops with a tad bit of saltwater to thaw the food, mix, and then feed about a tablespoon each feeding three times a day. Then also Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies once a day (take it out after several hours before it starts to decay) I have 2 tangs, yellow watchman goby, 2 clownfish, lawnmower blenny, and 2 firefish.

scooter31707 04/12/2017 09:14 AM

have you seen any symptoms of parasites. Especially with the angel, could possibly have flukes.

Reefer1991 04/12/2017 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The angel seemed less shy today and actually ate a peice of brine shrimp. But now I notice a little white blemish on the side of his face. It doesn't look that much like ich. There is only one of them, it is a grayish white color, and it protrudes a little bit so it's on the surface. It definitely wasn't there yesterday. The picture makes it look a lot more like ich than it does in person. Should I start treating them with hypo? Of course I get happy that the fish is eating then this happens.

Reefer1991 04/12/2017 11:39 AM

There's some stuff on the ground that looks somewhat like the dot so I'm just hoping a piece got stuck to him haha.

scooter31707 04/12/2017 12:12 PM

I would probably treat with Prazi-Pro.

Reefer1991 04/12/2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter31707 (Post 25044657)
I would probably treat with Prazi-Pro.

The dots gone so I guess it was just something stuck to him. I'm not going to treat him with prazi pro yet because he doesn't seem stressed or anything and he finally started eating. The goby hasn't tho. They don't scratch against anything like they are irritated either.

scooter31707 04/13/2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer1991 (Post 25044785)
The dots gone so I guess it was just something stuck to him. I'm not going to treat him with prazi pro yet because he doesn't seem stressed or anything and he finally started eating. The goby hasn't tho. They don't scratch against anything like they are irritated either.

Ok. Is it any head twitching or their fins flicker?

luislimon 04/13/2017 10:54 PM

Most fish specially tangs and Dwarf angles that like to eat poo arrive with worms. You should treat with prazi-pro. Is very well tolerated by fish.

You get internal worms and flukes in one shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer1991 04/14/2017 08:46 AM

The fish isn't flashing or anything. He's behaving totally normal. Only problem is he sucks the food in then spits it out like he doesn't like it. He used to not even acknowledge the food so he must be getting more comfortable. I don't have prazi so I would have to go out and get some which I wouldn't be able to do till tomorrow.
Would hypo kill flukes and worms? I am probably going to give them hypo for 5 weeks for a precaution. I wasn't going to but after seeing the dot on the fish which most likely wasn't ich, it got my paranoid haha. Prazi doesn't kill ich, correct?

Reefer1991 04/14/2017 08:48 AM

I also noticed there are a lot of copepods in the qt since I used some water and a seeded pad from my display. The coral beauty is always pecking at the glass so I'm assuming he's atleast eating some pods.

luislimon 04/14/2017 08:58 AM

Hypo salinity does not cure flukes or worms.
One thing that works for me is adding a fish that is eating like a mollie. He will show them the stuff is food. Wild fish don't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer1991 04/20/2017 06:48 PM

So I started the prazi treatment 2 days ago. Was it stupid that I did that without giving the angel a fw dip to know for sure if he had flukes?

FishN00b83 04/21/2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer1991 (Post 25055111)
So I started the prazi treatment 2 days ago. Was it stupid that I did that without giving the angel a fw dip to know for sure if he had flukes?

No I put every fish through prazipro. It's easy on the fish and it gets rid of a bunch of parasites. Most of the time two rounds is all you need. If you need an other round or two it's not that big of a deal.

Reefer1991 04/24/2017 08:14 AM

I'm about to start the second round of treatment. The coral beauty seems to be kind of twitchy in the way it moves. Sometimes he'll swim around calmly and other times he'll have real rapid movements(not sure how to explain it exactly lol). So I'm not sure if he is just stressed, the prazi isn't working, or he has ich. I still haven't seen any white dots except for the one I mentioned a while back but it was only there for a couple hours so it was most likely just sometching stuck to him. Could this just be the lack of space in the 20g qt stressing him out?

Reefer1991 04/25/2017 09:01 AM

Welp the gobies stomach is shrunken in pretty bad. The coral beauty eats like a pig but I still haven't been able to get the goby to eat. If I decide to get another watchman, should I put sand in the qt?

Reefer1991 04/26/2017 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I read that once gobies begin to starve, their body consumes their stomach. Is this true? There is a pretty good indent where his stomach is. I was going to go out and buy some more food but I would like to know if it is probably too late.
Here's some pics. You can see his bones on his sides. You can't tell from the angle, but where his stomach is there's a pretty deep indent. You can only see it when he is swimming and you look directly at his underside. Any advice? Is it too late? I really don't want him to die but I know he's probably too far gone. Just wanted to know if there is any hope for him. He is currently still not eating that I know of.

Reefer1991 04/26/2017 08:14 PM

Any help please????My angelfish does not rub up against anything anymore but he is very skittish. Does this mean he still has flukes or has ich? Sometimes he will tilt his body at a angle and "flutter" his tail and left fin. He will also turn his head back and forth real quick a couple times almost like what you would do before crossing the street. Not quite a twitch, but almost like he is really skittish. or he will be swimming and then all of the sudden change direction real quick. I don't know if I am just paranoid, but I'm very hesitant to put this fish in my display. Any input please???? I would really appreciate it.

juanmanuelsanch 04/27/2017 12:08 AM

A video and some pictures could help...

Reefer1991 04/27/2017 06:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
There is a picture of the coral beauty about 16 comments back. There are also pictures of my goby 2 comments back. I'll try to get a video posted soon. Here's the pictures again.

Reefer1991 04/27/2017 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can see the dent in the gobies stomach from this angle.(picture at the bottom)

The coral beauty seems to be swimming fine now but she doesn't swim weird all the time. Sometimes I'll go in my room and she is real twitchy in the way she moves, and will occasionally tilt her body to the side and flutters her tail fin and side fin. I am just trying to figure out what's wrong. They are on the last day of the 2nd prazi treatment so they should be fluke free. Do you think it's ich or I'm just paranoid? Like I said, no rubbing on the pvc anymore from what I can tell. Maybe he will brush up on the pvc while swimming every once in a while but I think it is more of an accidental thing. Before, he would repetitively rub his right gill. That hasn't happened since the prazi treatment.

reef cuber 04/28/2017 06:17 AM

If he is wild caught, have you tried live brine shrimp?

Reefer1991 04/28/2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef cuber (Post 25064315)
If he is wild caught, have you tried live brine shrimp?

Last night he decided to actually eat after 3 weeks of starving himself. He is very skinny to the point you can see his spine but he devoured a bunch of mysis last night and the indent in his stomach isn't there since he is now full of food lol. He still isn't out of the red zone though just because of how skinny he is but I have hope. Do you have any idea what's up with the behavior with the coral beauty? When he tilts his body and flutters his left fin and tail it really puzzles me. It's almost like he becomes paralyzed for a few seconds and can only move those fins. I doubt he is actually paralyzed lol but it looks weird. I would try to get a video but it's hard to catch him doing it since it's not often. Other than that he seems healthy and is eating other than spastic movements every once in a while but that may be from stress. Can somebody please just give me input on what they think it may be? They are done with the 2 prazi doses so they are fluke free I'd assume. I'm going to observe for 2 or 3 more weeks. If the odd swimming is all I observe, I'm probably going to put the 2 fish into my dt. Just wanted to hear your guys 2 cents on what you would do.

Reefer1991 04/28/2017 08:03 AM

I also saw the goby poop. At first it looked normal but then a yellowish brown string came out. Does this mean he still has an internal parasite? I figured two doses of prazi would take care of that. Or maybe it just looks weird since it's the first time he has eaten in a long time. What do you guys think?