Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   375 FOWLR stock list-Critique Please (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636767)

Nanook 05/12/2017 10:20 AM

375 FOWLR stock list-Critique Please

I'm going to make my 96"-30"-30" tank a FOWLR. Here are the fish I'd like to get, but want experienced folks to chime in on my list. I'm thinking open rock structure to maximize swimming space, while providing hiding places too. Not sure if I have too many Angels, or big fish in general. Also, not sure if I should do a sand bed either. Thanks for any help.

Yellow Dogfish Puffer
Australia Harlequin Tusk
Crosshatch Trigger
Green Bird Wrasse
Scribbled Angel
Passer Angel
Achilles Tang
Chocolate Tang
Pollenei Grouper
Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel
Flame Dwarf Angel
Eibil Dwarf Angel
Gold Flake Angel
Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
Raccoon Butterfly
Saddleback Butterfly
Cuban Hog
Tuxedo Damsels
Blue Sapphire Damsels

tkiry1 05/12/2017 10:29 AM

Lose some of the damsels... They really get nasty... I have a more agressive fowlr tank.. I have never had any luck with butterflies except for raccoon.. Just my 2 cents!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nanook 05/12/2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkiry1 (Post 25081153)
Lose some of the damsels... They really get nasty... I have a more agressive fowlr tank.. I have never had any luck with butterflies except for raccoon.. Just my 2 cents!!!

Thank you! I'm not married to any of these choices and I threw in the Damsels to distract and keep things interesting. They can go:)

Scotch_c 05/12/2017 10:32 AM

I would reconsider the puffer, green bird wrasse, passer angel, Cuban hog, chocolate tang, and the grouper, since all others are more decile or sensitive/expensive species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anbosu 05/12/2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkiry1 (Post 25081153)

Those particular damsels do not. I would be concerned about them being eaten down the road, but not their aggression.

trembz 05/12/2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anbosu (Post 25081279)
Those particular damsels do not. I would be concerned about them being eaten down the road, but not their aggression.

+1

I don't see the damsels being the issue in that tank.
They may harass each other but that's about it.
I don't see them getting eaten though as you don't really have anything crazy aggressive
Quote:

Originally Posted by anbosu (Post 25081279)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Nanook 05/12/2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotch_c (Post 25081161)
I would reconsider the puffer, green bird wrasse, passer angel, Cuban hog, chocolate tang, and the grouper, since all others are more decile or sensitive/expensive species.

Are they that aggressive?

trembz 05/12/2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 25081581)

I have a male bird wrasse and he's never bothered anyone.
He's the fish that keepsnto himself the most in the tank.
I have him in a 250 gallon with ~15 other fish

Nanook 05/12/2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trembz (Post 25081640)
I have a male bird wrasse and he's never bothered anyone.
He's the fish that keepsnto himself the most in the tank.
I have him in a 250 gallon with ~15 other fish

I've got an 8" red Coris Wrasse that keeps to himself too. Eats whatever it can, but never bothers other fish. My Emperor Angel is much the same, but I've never kept a Passer or Scribbled Angel.

trembz 05/12/2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 25081644)
I've got an 8" red Coris Wrasse that keeps to himself too. Eats whatever it can, but never bothers other fish. My Emperor Angel is much the same, but I've never kept a Passer or Scribbled Angel.

My emperor angel is the biggest as*.
Chases everyone around the tank including my clown trigger

Scotch_c 05/12/2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 25081581)

Even tho you have over 300g of space, passer is arguably the most aggressive of all large angels and that may present a problem. Especially the scribble and gold dust aren't cheap to come by. Maybe a regal or watanabei would be a nice alternative. The tusk may look aggressive but it's only that to the inverts. Large wrasse like the green bird and hog may pick on it. All those butterflies are all sensitive compared to other fish and they don't complete for food as well as all these other fish. The Achilles is just the most sensitive of all. It's not cheap to come by. Therefore, im not sure if having the chocolate tang is worth the risk. If you must have another tang, perhaps consider a blonde naso or a purple tang, or maybe even a moorish idol. I forgot what you have on the list. That maybe all.

Myles 05/12/2017 09:46 PM

I've kept bird wrasses for years and never had an issue with aggression not even with smaller wrasses. They are very fast aggressive gluttonous eaters which can cause problems if tank mates are timid feeders.
Myles

scooter31707 05/15/2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotch_c (Post 25081161)

Chocolate will be fine. They are one of the least aggressive of Tangs. The green bird wrasse will be ok. The passer, hog, and grouper would be my concern. They can get very aggressive.

Scotch_c 05/15/2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter31707 (Post 25084177)
Chocolate will be fine. They are one of the least aggressive of Tangs. The green bird wrasse will be ok. The passer, hog, and grouper would be my concern. They can get very aggressive.

Not concern with how chocolate tang is. More about how sensitive Achilles is towards something that's similar to itself. Hence the suggestion of tangs that are much different.

Nanook 05/15/2017 10:25 AM

So Passer, Hog, Cuban and Chocolate are nixed.

Any other replacement suggestions?

fishguy2501 05/16/2017 08:42 AM

Yellow Dogfish Puffer - These are cool maybe look at the B&W spot puffer or stars and stripes.

Australia Harlequin Tusk - Nice fish

Crosshatch Trigger - cool trigger, i would do a couple more if possible like a golden back or blue throat. Triggers are really fun. Though i dont know if you could get away with triggers of different species in the same tank.

Green Bird Wrasse - nice fish never had any problems with one but they are aggressive feeders but never experienced them bullying other fish.

Scribbled Angel - awesome fish love them

Passer Angel - i would replace it with either a regal or a poma angel or both. There are the maze angels which are cool too.

Achilles Tang - delicate i dont know how it would do with all the other fish.

Chocolate Tang - very nice fish i have 2 of them that are always together pecking at the rocks.

Pollenei Grouper- i wouldnt do a grouper IMO get more wrasses, angels or tangs instead He might be aggressive or eat other fish. A marine betta would be a better choice or something else like that.

Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel
Flame Dwarf Angel
Eibil Dwarf Angel
Gold Flake Angel -nice group of dwarf angels make sure you add them all at the same time so that they dont fight too much.

Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
Raccoon Butterfly
Saddleback Butterfly - i like all those butterflies though there are some rarer ones and cooler onces i would choose like the pakastani butterfly or the arabian but the arabian can be hard to keep.

Cuban Hog - i like hogfish but heard these can be aggressive so i would go with something else like a coral hog.

Myself i would add a couple more wrasses like the banana wrasse, hardwicki, and checkerboard wrasse, One i really like that is cool is the two spot wrasse (Cheilinus bimaculatus).

If no more wrasses i would do a couple more small tangs like in the ctenochatus genus, or some other smaller ones.

Of course the list is a little overstocked so you would have to slim it down a bit but these are just some fish i would suggest.

brad 05/16/2017 08:47 PM

I would do either the grouper or damsels. I have a miniatus, which is supposed to be more aggressive. He never bothered anyone unless they tried to pick on him, invaded his space or were small enough to eat.

When I had a 120, I always regretted any damsels I added. Even the less agressive, I'd have one become a terror. After upgrading to a 270, I never had problems, even with the more agressive damsels.

I never tried an Achilles, but am surprised so many people would be okay with that and not the grouper or damsels.

fishguy2501 05/17/2017 06:28 AM

I personally wouldnt do a grouper because it would limit what other fish you could have. Instead of a grouper try a marine betta or a nice parrotfish. If you go with a grouper go with one of the smaller species like a blue line or red flag. Though they can be aggressive they have tons of personality. But choose your tank mates wisely, you would also be limited on what you can keep with it. Even a hogfish would be a good alternative for a grouper

Nanook 05/17/2017 02:36 PM

Lots of experience here! I'm thankful to have folks weighing in, as I've never done a fish only saltwater tank.

tkiry1 05/17/2017 05:24 PM

My parrot is awesome.. Bothers nobody and my bird wrasse doesn't bother anybody.. Harlequin tusk is a great choice.. Angels that majestic is a great angel, goldflake, cream angel.. Some of my choices... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6a04dfe7e8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f61ee85c8e.jpg

scooter31707 05/18/2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotch_c (Post 25084180)
Not concern with how chocolate tang is. More about how sensitive Achilles is towards something that's similar to itself. Hence the suggestion of tangs that are much different.

Tank that size the Mimic will be fine, especially if it was added before the Achilles.

Dromon 05/18/2017 05:02 PM

I'd lose the grouper. LA lists them as 1' 2" grown which is big enough to go after a damsel or dwarf angelfish. I think the saddleback might not make it since it is a more difficult fish and it will be living with aggressive eaters. just my 2cents.

Nanook 05/19/2017 08:11 PM

Scribbled Angel
Gold Flake Angel
Regal Angel

Green Bird Wrasse
Checkerboard Wrasse
Banana Wrasse
Hardwicke Wrasse
Harlequin Tusk

Yellow Dogfish Puffer
Cross Hatch Trigger
Blue Throat Trigger

Raccoon Butterfly
Pakistan Butterfly

Bicolor Angel Dwarf
Lemonpeel Angel Dwarf
Eibli Angel Dwarf
Flame Angel Dwarf

Nanook 05/19/2017 08:14 PM

Is this list looking better? BTW, I love all these fish!

Scotch_c 05/19/2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 25089859)
Is this list looking better? BTW, I love all these fish!

Banana wrasse is pretty but aggressive. It should be the last one in.