Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Can a large group of people cause a pH drop? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2681728)

Aquavaj 08/10/2018 08:42 AM

Can a large group of people cause a pH drop?

My tank rarely drops below 8.0 and usually swings between 8.2-8.4 but last night I had almost my entire family (15+) over and saw a sharp drop in my pH down to 7.85. I noticed a few corals wouldn't open up fully. The only thing I did last night was feed, dose daily .2ml vodka and changed out the sponge and filter pad. Nothing I can see that would affect the pH that much.

Is it correct to assume that the available o2 decreased because of the increase in intake and thus also an increase in co2? It was hot so had all windows closed with the AC too.

hegeh 08/10/2018 08:57 AM

Theorically yes.. but im not sure if it will cause your coral not to open up.. hmm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ReefWreak 08/10/2018 09:37 AM

Yes, it is very likely that this is the case. Many/most people see a pH drop in Summer/Winter vs. Spring/Fall when people have their windows open for the same reason. It depends on how tightly sealed your house is.

This is not unusual at all, however I do agree with hegeh that pH wouldn't case your corals to be unhappy. Check your other parameters.

dubmaneh 08/10/2018 11:17 AM

Not sure about the corals staying closed, but absolutely with respect to the pH drop when lots of people over. I’ve seen it happen in my house. Lol!

When we open the windows my pH raises by about 0.4 within a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aquavaj 08/10/2018 11:53 AM

They have left the house a few minutes ago and monitoring remotely of the apex I'm already seeing the pH increase to almost 8. So my assumptions were correct. Hopefully the corals were just a little unhappy at that time. Everything else looks fine.

hkgar 08/10/2018 12:33 PM

A large group of people will not cause a ph drop - unless they breath.

It is the CO2 that causes the ph drop. No breathing no CO2

Tripod1404 08/10/2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkgar (Post 25481553)
A large group of people will not cause a ph drop - unless they breath.

It is the CO2 that causes the ph drop. No breathing no CO2

Plus it has nothing to do with O2. I dont know why people assume O2 influences pH.

hkgar 08/10/2018 01:12 PM

Although we breath O2 to live, CO2 is the breath of all life. It is the CO2 that all plant life deours in order to live. The wast produce is CO2. Kind of like plant feces. fertilizer.

Wierd thought

Uncle99 08/11/2018 06:55 PM

C02 mix with our water which in turn depresses PH.
Lowering the mix of CO2 in our water increases PH.
Simply brining in outside air into our homes and/or brining into our skimmers for mixes provides for the exchange of gases which can increase our PH...

Now I just don't pay attention to PH.....but I will open a window from time to time..

bertoni 08/11/2018 10:06 PM

A large crowd in a house is a known cause of low pH. Teenagers allegedly have been caught having unauthorized parties that way.

hkgar 08/12/2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoni (Post 25481999)
A large crowd in a house is a known cause of low pH. Teenagers allegedly have been caught having unauthorized parties that way.

sneaky

rvareef 08/12/2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoni (Post 25481999)

party got busted from the pH probe

n2585722 08/19/2018 10:00 AM

When the 5 grandkids are at the house the pH in the tank will drop. My wife didn't like it too much when I told her around the times when they left and came back to the house. That was just 6 people in the house. Days we are both home and not at work the tank will have a lower pH. I do have the air to my skimmer drawn from outside the house and it still affects the pH.