Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SPS Keepers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Got an itch (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618629)

kidkaos520 01/12/2017 04:34 AM

Got an itch

I have a jbj tank sitting in the garage it's either a 6 or 12g and I have been wanting to try out keeping acros. I know that having more water volume is better but this is not an option right now. I am hoping that I will not have to Frankenstein this tank to much; the one thing I know I will need for sure is an ato. I have been reading that weekly water changes of 25% or so should be enough to replenish what the corals take. Can someone chime in on this. I will probably ditch the hood and get an AI prime (unless someone can suggest something better) keep it BB and maybe a mp10.

Pittsburgh 01/12/2017 07:49 AM

I think it should be doable, especially with enough SPS experience. ATO, heater, lights and flow. WCs to keep parameters in control. Fluctuations would be pretty high in such a small system. So I would probably pick a salt with standard sea water parameters and just dose ALK/CAL separately under careful testing regiment.

kidkaos520 01/12/2017 11:50 AM

Turns out it is a 12g which is a little better than the 6

Scorpius 01/12/2017 05:24 PM

If you're seasoned at keeping Acropora go for it, if not you'll more than likely to end up killing a lot of Acropora. Your post leads me to believe you're not seasoned with Acropora. I'm not. :lol:

kidkaos520 01/12/2017 07:20 PM

Nope not seasoned at all but I look at a lot of acro pictures must count for something :). After much thought I think I am going to add a sump to my rsm 130 that is already running and go that route for more water volume. Will be a 10g diy sump with hob overflow. I can just go the mixed reed route even though I will miss my dirty water lps softie tank

Rakie 01/12/2017 10:00 PM

I started with a 12g not long ago running all Acropora and had no issues. I then moved onto a 29g Biocube with Kalkwasser in the ATO -- Pretty simple! No issues personally.

I think people put far too much emphasis on how hard SPS is. After over 1 year keeping SPS with zero prior experience I just recently had my first death -- And it was because a snail knocked a mini colony onto an Acan in the night.

SPS isn't that hard to keep alive. It isn't that hard to color up. But it is exceedingly hard to master. A novice should have zero issues getting an SPS coral to around 75-80% of it's color potential. A seasoned keeper should easily get 90% of it's color potential, but it takes someone with a lot of understanding and a finely tuned system to get 95+% color.

When you look at a pics of tanks and say "That's a Garf Bonsai", "That's a Garf", "Thats a garf" and suddenly "WOW, what on earth is that SUPER purple coral with neon green polyps?!" -- That's the Garf in the hands of someone whose experienced and has a finely tuned system :)