Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Peppermint Angel (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714018)

Cantonesefish 09/29/2009 10:03 AM

Just get a peppermint hogfish, same colors but way cheaper :) :) :) :)

jnc914 09/29/2009 12:35 PM

Peppermint Angel

Per the Live Aquaria Facebook Update:

"Wow...Major news!!! Director Kevin Kohen reports he is in negotiations to bring in the elusive (SUPER RARE) Paracentropyge boylei to the Diver's Den if all things work out. This fish hasnt been for sale in the US since 1993.

:spin2:

That is incredible news.......

stunreefer 09/29/2009 12:38 PM

:crazy1:

Sweeeeeeet...

michael_cb_125 09/29/2009 12:42 PM

Time to start saving ;)

~Michael

michael_cb_125 09/29/2009 12:50 PM

Do we know who got one in the States when they were available? How long it (they) survived?

~Michael

copps 09/29/2009 01:04 PM

Well... I guess it's public now! I've been eluding to this for a little while... and people could have extrapolated that it was coming after seeing fish like Pseudanthias privitera and the Cook Islands helfrichi that have been in the market... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 (Post 15773651)
Do we know who got one in the States when they were available? How long it (they) survived?

~Michael

I just told this story in my talk two days ago at MACNA in preparation... :D I even made the guy who got the first peppermint in the lower 48 in the early 1990s dig up the photos (literally)... which I showed in my presentation... :)

LuvAngels88 09/29/2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copps (Post 15773729)
Well... I guess it's public now! I've been eluding to this for a little while... and people could have extrapolated that it was coming after seeing fish like Pseudanthias privitera and the Cook Islands helfrichi that have been in the market... :)

I just told this story in my talk two days ago at MACNA in preparation... :D I even made the guy who got the first peppermint in the lower 48 in the early 1990s dig up the photos (literally)... which I showed in my presentation... :)

Hey John,

I wish I could have stayed. Looks like I missed some BIG news as well as, I'm sure, an interesting presentation! There's always next time, I guess. It was an honor to meet you, sir! :)

myerst2 09/29/2009 01:36 PM

So John, Copps, sooooooooooo are you in the market for a boylei?

copps 09/29/2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvAngels88 (Post 15773872)
Hey John,

I wish I could have stayed. Looks like I missed some BIG news as well as, I'm sure, an interesting presentation! There's always next time, I guess. It was an honor to meet you, sir! :)

It was great meeting you too Susan! I try and make all of my presentations appeal to everyone, but I always have to sprinkle hardcore stuff in for us absolute nuts, which you are! (remember, that is a compliment in our community!)

copps 09/29/2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myerst2 (Post 15773915)
So John, Copps, sooooooooooo are you in the market for a boylei?

Only if you include being in the market for a sponsor along side of that... This news has been a couple of years in the making... which I obtained from the namesake of this fish himself... :)

mdrc 09/29/2009 01:41 PM

thats great if he gets it.......any guess of how much it will retail for?

copps 09/29/2009 01:49 PM

Knowing there is a line of people in Asia and Europe for this fish... that have a lot of money and have been waiting a long time... I can give an educated guess of...

ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fun5:

myerst2 09/29/2009 01:51 PM

Will these boylei's het Japanese markets first? Have any actually been caught yet? What type of number will they bring in the states? 10-15K? There are only a handful of people in the states who have the means and desire to spend that type of coin. Man I wish having the means was as easy as the desire!!!!!!!

myerst2 09/29/2009 01:56 PM

In case anyone out there doesn't know what a Peppermint looks like, then look below.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Picture10.png
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...37_R-thumb.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ls/pepper1.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...lei-post-2.jpg

mdrc 09/29/2009 02:02 PM

ok ive done a bit of digging, and looked at a wholesaler who says if they can get it(which i doubt) retail on it would be 25,550+ shipping to the states. they export out of taiwan so.....wow.

myerst2 09/29/2009 02:03 PM

Any chance while down there in the deep abyss they will scoop up a narcosis?
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g.../Picture14.png

Man I am so pumped about this fish!!! T

mdrc 09/29/2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myerst2 (Post 15773991)
Will these boylei's het Japanese markets first? Have any actually been caught yet? What type of number will they bring in the states? 10-15K? There are only a handful of people in the states who have the means and desire to spend that type of coin. Man I wish having the means was as easy as the desire!!!!!!!

i don't think this is a group of fish being collected i think its just a single fish every 10 years or so its not what market they'll hit first just people who have the most connections will get it

copps 09/29/2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myerst2 (Post 15773991)

I'll let Liveaquaria and Kevin unfold the details as they go public... and I won't mention details, but I will say that despite the common notion, the good old USA has first rights to this fish... :)

There are plenty of aquarists with the means and desire to spend that type of coin, but few that can couple it with the technical skill and ability and desire to give this fish the home that it needs...

fishkid6692 09/29/2009 02:07 PM

WOW! i am super excited right now. i'm guessing this fish will sell for upwards of 10 grand. time to start selling everything i have thats not needed to survive lol. this is my dream fish. anyone have an idea of when it will go up on DD? or even when DD will get it it?

mpoletti 09/29/2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkid6692 (Post 15774075)
WOW! i am super excited right now. i'm guessing this fish will sell for upwards of 10 grand. time to start selling everything i have thats not needed to survive lol. this is my dream fish. anyone have an idea of when it will go up on DD? or even when DD will get it it?

I'd say double your estimate Matt; at least ;)

copps 09/29/2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdrc (Post 15774045)
ok ive done a bit of digging, and looked at a wholesaler who says if they can get it(which i doubt) retail on it would be 25,550+ shipping to the states. they export out of taiwan so.....wow.

There is a short list of people who have direct access to this fish... and none are in Taiwan...

mpoletti 09/29/2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copps (Post 15774068)
I'll let Liveaquaria and Kevin unfold the details as they go public... and I won't mention details, but I will say that despite the common notion, the good old USA has first rights to this fish... :)

There are plenty of aquarists with the means and desire to spend that type of coin, but few that can couple it with the technical skill and ability and desire to give this fish the home that it needs...

No matter what John, This is really cool news. I agree that its not so much about the money as there are some major players that have the coin to drop, its also about creating the correct environment for this awesome specimen.

mdrc 09/29/2009 02:12 PM

im not saying they can get it im just saying there saying they can get it lol if that makes any sense

copps 09/29/2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdrc (Post 15774116)
im not saying they can get it im just saying there saying they can get it lol if that makes any sense

I'm talking direct access to the fish... my four year old can buy and resell them from the DD (if they ever get one) if he clicks the mouse fast enough! :D

mdrc 09/29/2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copps (Post 15774149)
I'm talking direct access to the fish... my four year old can buy and resell them from the DD (if they ever get one) if he clicks the mouse fast enough! :D

ya..... i doubt they even have the means to get it....and you say they can't get it direct....but if you want one for under 4k go to www.marinesgardens.com
i thought this was funny. go to dwarf angels and scrool through till you find it