Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Can 2-part being diluted and used in ATO Reservoir (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670144)

RioReefr 03/08/2018 08:13 PM

Can 2-part being diluted and used in ATO Reservoir

I am using Reef Fusion 2-part in my 130 Liter All-in-One (LPS/Fish; No SPS).

I am also using the Smart Micro ATO system with a 10 Liter reserve tank. My evaporation is 2 Liters per day. Since I dose 1mL of Fusion-1 and 1mL of Fusion-2 on a daily basis, I was wondering if I could simply add 5 mL of Fusion-1/ 5mL of Fusion-2 to my reserve tank to essentially let my ATO dose my Ca/Alk for me (??).

1.) Would the combination of the 2 additives in 10 Liter precipitate?
2.) If Yes, what additive (Ca or Alk) would be better to add to my ATO reserve tank?
3.) Also, I add 0.5mL or Red Sea NoPoX on a daily basis. Could this somehow be combined with Reef 1 and/or Reef 2, again something like 2.5mL would be added to the ATO tank?

I am sure someone will suggest a doser, but this is such a small amount that I don't want to drop $300 + on dosing solution.

ramseynb 03/08/2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RioReefr (Post 25384601)
I am using Reef Fusion 2-part in my 130 Liter All-in-One (LPS/Fish; No SPS).

I am also using the Smart Micro ATO system with a 10 Liter reserve tank. My evaporation is 2 Liters per day. Since I dose 1mL of Fusion-1 and 1mL of Fusion-2 on a daily basis, I was wondering if I could simply add 5 mL of Fusion-1/ 5mL of Fusion-2 to my reserve tank to essentially let my ATO dose my Ca/Alk for me (??).

1.) Would the combination of the 2 additives in 10 Liter precipitate?
2.) If Yes, what additive (Ca or Alk) would be better to add to my ATO reserve tank?
3.) Also, I add 0.5mL or Red Sea NoPoX on a daily basis. Could this somehow be combined with Reef 1 and/or Reef 2, again something like 2.5mL would be added to the ATO tank?

I am sure someone will suggest a doser, but this is such a small amount that I don't want to drop $300 + on dosing solution.

Do you actually have enough consumption to need to dose? If your tank is sucking up calcium like that, I would look into just using kalk with your ATO. I don't think mixing the two-part in a small volume of water would be a good idea.

RCS82 03/08/2018 08:24 PM

How big is your tank? How much water do you change?

Ruu 03/08/2018 08:39 PM

In the past, when faced with a tank with either low calcium or alk I have dumped one or the other into my tunze kalk dispenser to help bring things up more smoothly.

If you need both then as others have pointed out, you should probably just use kalk, and if that isn't enough them move to actual dosing.

Dave

DesertReefT4r 03/08/2018 08:45 PM

No you can't mix 2 part at all, it will precipitate. 2 part is pricey imo and is great for high demand tanks as are cal reactors. Kalk is cheap and a great method for dosing cal and alk. Kalk is also the only way to dose both with just 1 solution due to kalks chemical makeup and how it reacts with saltwater. It also further purifies you top off water and has small effect on reducing po4. Google and reseach kalk, what it is and does, how to proper dose it in an ATO. BRS TV has a great YouTube video covering kalk. I used it on a 40g and 75g sps dominated reef tanks with a pretty high demand for cal and alk and kalk kept everything very stable. If your demand is currently very low a very small amount of kalk in ATO water or water changes with a good salt will take care it everything. Test daily and see what your tank is using up to determine any dosing needs and to dial in the amount dosed.

OceansMotion 03/08/2018 09:30 PM

Technically you can but you need to add a ton of magnesium to bind to the carbonate so it keeps the calcium from reacting with it. With the elevated levels it would not be worth it because of the fact you would overdose very quickly. You could try limewater or soda ash for alk. But you would have to dose the calcium separate. Calcium reactor is the best for both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bif24701 03/08/2018 10:51 PM

Use Kalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk