View Single Post
Unread 06/17/2013, 12:43 AM   #307
jadette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thwonder View Post
Love your tank. Any updates?
Thanks! yes, it's been a while since I updated my tank thread. Main reason being that I have been so busy at work, that I've had little time to even sleep, let alone take care of my tank, let alone post about how I don't have time to take care of my tank.

Thankfully, I am not updating to say that my tank crashed b/c of my neglect. But neither can I say that I am coming out of this reefing hiatus unscathed.

I picked up a few frags at some meets earlier in the year with bits of weird algae on the plugs. Fearing that it would spread all over my tank, I removed what I could and put the frags in my frag setup in my sump. This wasn't exactly the smartest idea, but I honestly was too tired to care (read above on the lack of sleep). Fast forward a few months and my entire frag tank was covered with the stuff. It smothered all of my frags. I managed to keep it from doing much harm in my display area b/c I would always remove bits of it whenever I saw some, but I do not look in my sump very often. Even when I did, and saw the green stuff growing, I had little energy to deal with it. In retrospect, I should have done SOMETHING, b/c all my of expensive corals were actually in the sump. It's my whole mentality of not wanting to keep frags in my main display, so I usually would grow out the frags a bit before putting them in the display. Thing is, you don't usually see purple monsters, pearlberries, and alien eye pectinia colonies for sale. Yes, I did lose frags of those and many others that pains me to mention.

There are also a few other stupid things that I did. I was too lazy to fiddle with my doser when my alk/calc needs went up (blame my CA+ sucking clam. The guy is a monster), so I decided to just make a more concentrated solution. The tubing didn't really appreciate that much and got clogged up. I didn't really notice that til 2 weeks later, when it was time to refill my dosing containers and saw that they were still full.

I also have some funky fish disease in my tank that killed all of my tangs and butterflies. My beautiful, beautiful, butterflies that cost me more than the tank itself. Fortunately for me, I've been too busy to think about restocking. All of my wrasses, cardinals, and anthias survived. I have one lone swallowtail left. I still have about ~ 20 fish in my tank. Going to keep it at that # for awhile to let the 'funk' go away on its own. Yes, I am allowed to dream. It's America, dang it!

But on to the positive stuff. Things in my tank are growing well. I bought a large green acropora colony that was at the brink of death for a steal of a price (the cost of two big mac meals), and it has bounced back nicely. Nice green body with teal polyps! There was a large dead spot in the middle that I could not bear to look at so I stuck pieces of my cali tort in it. Haha. Came out pretty interesting looking. Ok, it actually looks pretty gawdy, but better than having the look of death on it.

Ok. Less talky, more showy:

See the green acro colony with the cali tort growing in the center on the left side of the tank?

Close up of the left side of the tank with the Calc sucking Squamosa:

And the right side:

Sideviews (you can see the weird nuisance algae growing on the return and vortechs):

Fish are all hiding b/c I was cleaning the glass for the pics. Either that or I'm too ashamed to admit that they're all dead.

ALL DEAD I tell you!

Not really. I just get weird when I'm tired. And I'm always tired.

For all those SFVR peeps reading this, sorry for being MIA on all the recent meets. I've been busy being busy and complaining about being busy.

jadette is offline   Reply With Quote