View Single Post
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:14 AM   #84
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I remember a time when reefers felt anything non-oceanic was risky or unsavory for use in a marine tank. We've come a long way, baby!
Just an informal survey to see what products of land-based origin people are using in their tanks and WHY. You won't be criticized especially if you share the main virtues of the substance you're using.
For instance:
my fish love bananas (melevs reef tip) adding fructose and cellulose (carbon) and intrinsically easily digestible. I add a variety of other handy stuff in SMALL quantities: mango, beet or carrot juice (vitamin A, carotenoids, fructose,sucrose), soymilk (asparginine, DHEA, calcium, carageenan), o.j. (citric acid, ascorbic acid), coconut milk (potassium,oils), corn syrup, raw egg yolk or white, brewer's yeast, pulverized dried crickets, live earthworms and live assorted insect larvae... Show us YOUR list!

I had a real healthy Moorish Idol,I sold,last year,and it didn't like bananas,but liked a wide variety of clams,red worms chopped up floating nori mixed with phytoplankton,mysis,all stirred up and fed 3 times per day.Also the Yellow tangs and fox face enjoyed being fed,this mix . Whenever I found an odd ant or spider it went into the mix as well.
Just a side note,aside from the high sodium level ,you could drink your aquarium water,while feeding and it would be very nutricious.