View Single Post
Unread 05/01/2003, 12:40 AM   #18
Jerry W
Registered Member

I too will be interested in the outcome of this "time study", and that is exactly what it will take to see any positive results. Personally, I would not be too optimistic. The life cycle of crypto is such that when the inactive tomonts fall off the fish, it can take 6-10 days before hundreds of new free swimming tomites emerge in search of a host. A couple days with no visible symptoms is not a measure of success. Often the parasite re-emerges with a vengeance. You stated you tried all of the "standard remedies" and list selcon, FW dips and UV as a few of those. Truth is, none of these are effective in treating cryptocaryon. Selcon is a food supplement and nothing more. FW dips can help with the parasites present on the fish, but do nothing at all to eliminate those in the tank, so when the fish is placed back in the display, he's essentially reinfected immediately. UV is pretty much useless on a single system, and seems to work better on multi system set-ups. When you mentioned you had no luck with these, It was not surprising. When you say you had no luck with hyposalinity, there are many variables that determine the success of the treatment. Hypo has been proven to be the safest and most effective treatment for crypto when done properly, over the prescribed time frame and using accurate measuring devices (read refractometer or lab grade glass hydrometer.)
I wouldn't get your hopes up, but it will be interesting to see what shakes out.

Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote