View Single Post
Unread 03/12/2009, 08:14 AM   #253
lynxvs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goofyreefer
"1. Total LED count per 24" is not enough for high PAR.
2. LED driver will not provide the current required.
3. Fan airflow should be perpendicular to heatsink cooling fins.
4. LEDs are can not be removed easily from heatsink.
5. Light must be placed close to the surface of the water because of the lack of optics."

I don';t think any of these things are "problems" though. I hope soundwaves design works out well over the long run and look forward to hearing about it.

Just a quick reply with my opinion.

1.His PAR readings seem pretty high to me aleast higher than PC's and T5's I would imagine. Or do you not believe the reading soundwave is getting?

2. his driver seems to working just fine from the pics posted

3. Is it REALLY all that important which way the fan is mounted? Piont is to reduce the heat which he seems to be doing.

4. The LEDs can't be removed easily but if the LED's last 50,000 hours why worry about it really.

5. the lack of optics is Soundwaves preference which results in the lights being placed closer. Although they didn't seem all that close in the pics if I remember correctly but I could be wrong.
goofyreefer

1. I can't say I don't believe them because I wasn't there to see them taken....they don't seem unreasonable... it's just the fact that he is getting about the same PAR as me with half the LEDs and a larger tank that bothers me.

2. You can tell how the driver is working from the picture?

3. No you can run it without the fan with that big heatsink.... I was just suggesting mounting the fan so the air flows through the fins for maximum cooling.

4. That's what the data sheet says...... in the real world it's a little different. I bet soundwave has had a LED failure in the first couple of days of operation.

5. It also results in lower PAR. If you like the fixture on top of the tank this is fine but if you raise it up you need optics period.