Thread: Nitrate dosing
View Single Post
Unread 03/13/2018, 09:18 PM   #3
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
I know, I know you read the title and thought WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!??
Well I have 6 fish across 120 gal system.
Most po4 removal is linked to NO3 uptake as well. With so few fish I have a low nh3/4 production and my NO3 gets eaten up as PO4 is removed leaving none for the filter feeders that would consume it and sometime allowing my po4 to creep up... So for me nitrates are auctually a limiting nutrient. I decided to try dosing nitrates in my system using the product pictured (I got this on Amazon fyi) this is my first dose.. I did some fun dosing math . I added 5mL of the CaNO3 soild to 8oz of water of the quality I'd used to top off the tank. I mixed this untill it was dissolved with very little stuck to the sides of the cup. I Tested before and after on two kits hach and red Sea.. both were true zeros before adding. I then added 5mL of my mix to my sump to mix in well. About a half hour later I tested throughout the tank on both kits and received a 7-9 ppm on NO3.. my total system volume is about 120gal.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Sounds fine, test weekly and try to maintain something in the 2-5 ppm. Be sure to test NO3 24hrs after doesing because when truly nitrogen limited NO3 uptake can be high until you reach saturation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote