View Single Post
Unread 05/10/2013, 04:49 PM   #3
o2manyfish
Registered Member

So, to keep track we are back in 2003 now. The frag tanks were doing well, and this meant that my 125 display tank was packed and over crowded.

Tank in 2003

So I decided it was time to overhaul my fish room.
While I know some people have a dedicated room for the fish, my 'fish room' just has my tank. So you understand what I refer to my fish room was originally the dining room in the house that
only had a fish tank and a couch to enjoy the fish tank. There were glass fish hung from the ceiling and some fish art up on the walls. But the fish room was/is just a place to watch the fish
tank. So I started making plans to upgrade. I was fortunate that the wall the 125 was sitting on was an 8'wall. I maximized the space of the wall and ordered a 96x33x24 Acrylic tank.

Because all my equipment was outside, I had the idea to do something different with the stand. But I didn't have the ability to build what I had in my mind on my own. So here is where reefing
buddies are amazing. I had a reef friend who I had given a Powder Blue Tang to about 9 months earlier. He is a fabricator for the special effects industry and had been hired to do
rennovations to the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco
and dissappeared for 6+ months and the Powder Blue slipped his mind. So when he was back in town I tracked him down, and asked if he could help me with my stand concept. He agreed. And
he felt so guilty about forgetting to pay for the Powder Blue that he built me the stand for costs of materials.

Since I didn't need equipment under the stand I wanted to build a stand with a unique modern style to it. Not your typical rectangular base. So we engineered a stand with recessed legs on the right
hand side of the stand. So the tank is cantilvered out over the leg.

Here is Con and I perusing his work in my back yard. I am not the tall skinny one.

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote