View Single Post
Unread 12/05/2017, 12:26 AM   #9
snowdrop6
Registered Member

Thanks bertoni. That sounds a reasonable explanation even though I don't see any noticeable buildup. The amount of buildup might be too small to be noticed but large enough to decrease Alk.

I used an API kit. Because my tank is in my office, I measured Alk several times in a day. I confirmed the kit can actually measure the alk increase after alk dose. By the way I added the alk solution to the area with most strong flow in the sump, where is around drain.

One day, for example, I dosed 0.33dkH as soon as I'm at work. It was 7dkH before dosing. Then I dosed the same amount two times more before I go home. So basically I tried to increase 1dkH in a day. Test kit says it increased to 7.5-8 dkH (API kit is not sensitive to .5 dkH change). Next morning I measured Alk, and it became 6.5dkH.

Alk was always 7dkh with kalk. However ever since the first extra alk dosing, Alk couldn't stay at a certain level with kalk anymore.

So if the alk drop is due to the buildup, will it saturate at some point? It has been a month since the first alk dose. I still see the alk drop if I don't supplement alk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowdrop6 is offline   Reply With Quote