View Single Post
Unread 05/19/2017, 07:42 AM   #6
karimwassef
Registered Member

So instead of an ATS, I set up a shallow Rubbermaid (50 gal) oval tank to act as a settling tank with side inlets creating rotational flow guides by the oval shape and a ~central drain overflow. It's not perfect but creates a nice sediment over time that gets populated with worms and pods.

I light that tank with 600W of LED for 20 hours. That grows hair algae in long circular loops and some perpendicular sheets towards the drain. This is also very worm and pod heavy (different worms though). I harvest this and feed it to my tangs.

I had an outbreak of caulerpa that I've manually removed so I'm back to just healthy hair again.

The overflow goes into a second Rubbermaid container (100gal) with circulating flow again and a pump that feeds up into the scrubber.

This aux sump is directly connected to my DT sump via a short 2" PVC line that keeps them at the same level (over time). There's a slight delay sometimes between the two but they're in steady state. The DT sump lip is lower so this sux sump just creates more capacity.

This sump has a dedicated high pressure pump connected to two air injection penductors fed by a 1.5" hose that mates into an 8" duct and duct fan pulling outside air into the penductor mixing chambers (2" PVC Ts).

The end result is a massive volume of fresh air pumped into the water. This basically turns the sux sump into a giant skimmer cup without a catch... flows back into the water.

I extract the goop that forms around the lip, mix it in some tank water and feed it back to the tank. This is becoming a main coral food source. The PE when I do this is impressive (future vid).

So... closed loop. No skimmer. No ATS. Fish and coral food harvested and fed back.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote