View Single Post
Unread 05/11/2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Questions Regarding Invasive Species

Hello friends

I'm happy to say my tank is probably less than a month away from getting my first group of soft corals. I've never had coral before so I'm here to ask some questions if you all don't mind. I have a JBJ 45 gallon with a sump built into the back.

I'm very much interested in Pulsing Xenia and Green Star Polyps, however my research has shown me that many experienced reefers can't stand these species even going as far as to call them pests or weeds. Looks like the problem comes from them literally growing so well they take over the entire tank. The only solutions here that I've seen are isolating them on islands away from the main aqua scape.

If I isolate them on a small piece of live rock will they grow over the sand toward the main display? Are the polyps easily spread by water flow? While I love the look of these corals I would rather forego getting them if they spread easily even when isolated.

Several other choices were Zoanthids and a toadstoll leather coral. Are either of these species aggressive or invasive or are they okay on the main scape?

What precautions should I take prior to adding them to my tank? I have some coral dip as well as some glue to attach the frags to the isolated rocks (if isolation is necessary). Granted my tank isn't huge so the coral spreading out of control or having pests being introduced are my main worries.

I'm so sorry for this huge post. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get this tank filled up and full of movement and color.

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote