View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Mohreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Formalin baths, Hyposalinity, and Praziquantel are what I generally use and formalin baths and TTM are the only prophylactic treatments I do.
And while CP is an immunosuppressant, it is the most effective treatment against Amyloodinium and requires shorter exposure times than copper.

When it comes to Cryptocaryon in a big system I would rather eliminate the stressors and let the the fishs' immune systems handle it rather than go the chemical route or treat the whole system.
Should individual fish get too sick I would pull them and treat them separately with either TTM or hypo or both and then give them the time they need to get their defenses up against the parasite before returning them. This worked well for me and after about a year without new additions the parasite had actually died out in the system.
I get what you are saying however parasites have evolved to survive .. so when we think our fish are ick free because their immune system is in good order (this may cause them to be able to produce a thicker slime coat for example) it may be that ick is still present in small numbers on maybe a few fish... in the gills etc... it could be they r just waiting for the right time to get the upper hand...this is just my thinking.

Mohreef is offline   Reply With Quote