View Single Post
Unread 03/03/2016, 05:11 PM   #116
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
If I had to guess, you probably have a light load relative to the skimmer size. That Double Cone 250 skimmer is rated up to 390 gallons heavy load and they are conservatively rated. The lighter the load, the greater the need to have the skimmer running deep. I run a Supermarin 250 on my 480G display with over 50 fish in it. Many of which are 8" or more. While it's not the same model skimmer, they are very similar in design and the bodies are the same size and nearly the same volume. While I am not sure of your display size and load, if I had to guess, your skimmer is relatively oversized so you are having to run it deep to keep the foam head up high in the body. Especially given that your skimmer doesn't have to break a sweat to keep your DOC's to a minimum. The end result is consistently low DOC levels.

Yea that's kind of what i had figured. Oh and to be clear, I am in no way complaining. I love my skimmer.

I wish I had done a little more research, I always assumed go big or go home when it comes to skimmers and what they are rated for. My display is 250g, and I have maybe 20 fish. (And they are smaller fish). I think I would have been better off going with a bubble magus....hahaha. Gotcha. No but seriously, I think a DC/SM 200 would have fit my tank better.

And I'm glad I posted this, hopefully someone reading this won't make the same mistake. Bigger is not better with Bubble King. These skimmers are no joke. I dose potassium nitrate weekly to try to keep my nitrates at 1ppm.

Quick snap of tank and skimmer

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote