View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2019, 12:55 PM   #10129
ento-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I would not use a toothbrush actually. There are very very few times when you should ever scrub a screen with a brush. That is about 3rd or 4th down the line of troubleshooting steps.

You might swipe over the screen with a soft toothbrush, holding it loosely in your fingers and making a single pass across each section of the screen, but not "scrubbing" as in holding it firmly and applying pressure and scrubbing back and forth. This type of cleaning should be reserved for undesireable growth that won't come off with scarping and rubbing & rinsing.

Think of the "toothbrush swipe" as a step above the fingertup rub & rinse. It's a slightly more aggressive cleaning, and shouldn't be used unless your screen is past a certain stage of maturation - maybe only past the 2 month point, so you should have plenty of well-established and "anchored" growth that would be able to withstand a toothbrush pass. Otherwise, that can easily wipe off a majority of the growth and your screen could be too clean, and your growth could revert temporarily because there's too much light post-cleaning

When in doubt, clean less aggressively. Once growth kicks in strong, it'll withstand most any cleaning short of a hard scrub with a stiff brush.
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I am being very patient with this scrubber lol... It has been running for 4 months now and I have only had all of the lights on since November. I waited until the entire screen was filled in before I connected all of the lights. I have been cleaning it once a week, but maybe I should shoot for every 3 days. I will continue to keep rubbing the slime off and I will start rinsing in warm tap water.

Would it be helpful to rub some of the desirable algae that is growing on the bottom plate into the screen?

ento-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote