View Single Post
Unread 02/12/2011, 07:00 PM   #5
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithj108 View Post
I guess the real reason is a lack of confidence in my capability. I'm really worried if I do, I'm only guaranteeing myself a cracked bottom glass one day - especially after some settling time has passed.
A tempered glass bottom should be more than adequate for you. I'd suggest probably 5/16" thick tempered glass.

I have personally never seen a tempered glass bottom break under normal (ie, heavy) reef use. I've seen plate (non-tempered) glass split though.

Quote:
Next question: to temper, or not to temper. The supplier can do either. Should I go with harder thinner glass or weaker yet thicker glass? They also can get low iron hi vis glass - not sure the price jump yet.

Thanks!

I wouldn't get tempered for the sides. From my experience, tempered glass scratches easier.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote