View Single Post
Unread 01/04/2020, 08:26 PM   #3055
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Slief,

here is an update:

I have been working with both skimmers SM 250 and SM 300 in my tank for 2 months now and they are working great. They are skimming more than double the liquid I would export with only 1 skimmer. Skimmers have been working consistently with no issues.

questions:
the wedge pipe of my SM250 is closed more than 50%. it is working fine and skimming well, but I want to know what happens if I higher the level of the water in the skimmer compartment so that I can open more the wedge pipe?

when you open the wedge pipe you allow more flow in the reaction chamber, which means more turnover of water in the chamber correct? is this beneficial to the skimming process or not?

I am thinking that the more turn over in the reaction chamber the more particles the skimmer could trap??

I am now working the SM 250 at a water level of 22cm, I am thinking of highering the level to 25 cms so that I can open the wedge pipe more.

would this be a good idea to try or should I just leave everything as it is now?
please explain me why in you answer.

thanks

Go ahead and raise the water level in the sump. It won’t impact the performance at all. Opening the wedge pipe has no impact on flow nor does the water level in the sump. Closing the wedge pipe raise the level inside the skimmer just like raising the sump level raises the level inside the skimmer but neither effect the flow. The pump speed is the only thing that impacts the flow rate.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote