View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2019, 08:14 AM   #2
halmus
Registered Member

I understand the apprehension some people would have with this type of setup. I’m unsure whether a single 1 1/2” line would be enough to equalize water levels in both sumps. I would tend to go as big of a pvc line as you could fit in between the two. (2”?). Bulkhead size availability might dictate that. Or, plan on two lines stacked vertically.

The real test once this is up and running is: turn off one pump on one side and monitor the behavior. If the pvc line connecting the two sumps can’t keep up with the water flow through the sump with the disabled return, you’ve got a problem. The sump might overflow. You need more volume (more PVC) connecting the two for easier equalization. Repeat the test on the other side.

If that test works, I don’t see a major problem. Other tab ensuring the connecting pipes don’t get clogged.

If everything is so perfectly balanced that you don’t get much water flow in the pipe(s) connecting the two sumps, you could always direct some water from one of the returns to the other sump forcing an imbalance and creating the flow to prevent stagnation. I don’t think that will be necessary.

I would use true union ball valves in line at each end of the connecting pipe to be able to isolate the sumps for maintenance purposes. And valves to stop up overflows. That way you could turn off one side of the tank for maintenance while letting the other run.

Just my opinion. Knowing the people in this hobby, someone will be along shortly to tell me that I’m stupid and contradict everything I’ve said.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote