View Single Post
Unread 09/21/2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Scrandrew
Registered Member

Say absolutely no to Absolutely Fish in NJ

Each year I make my pilgrimage from Northeastern Pennsylvania to Giants Stadium with my five year old daughter. After the game, we make our yearly (this is my third time at this pet store), trip to Absolutely Fish. This year will be my last.

First, as always, you are greeted by multiple workers standing behind the counter. Of course, when you try to make a purchase, none are near the fish or coral room.

Once inside, I made a visit to the fishroom area. Although the selection was decent, every fish that I examined, was priced at $79.99 and greater. It is not as though I was looking for an exotic item, as, I was simply looking for a tang or two. I noticed a $250 Sohol and other pricey fish. If it was reasonably attractive, it was unreasonably priced. I opted to pass.

I then went to the coral area. In the display tank, I noticed some decently colored pinkish purple staghorn. It appeared to be growing well, actually, almost above the water line. I approached a sales person and asked for a frag. Befuddled as to whether it could be sold, he contacted a higher up employee. The higher ranking employee said sure, and that he would take my name. I responded by stating that I was from Pennsylvania, and he added that I could not have it now (It would have taken less than three seconds to clip with a coral cutter).

I then went to the rear of the store to see the acro tank. Inside, I noticed another peice of staghorn that was brownish but that had a bluish purple tint. I figured that maybe, in my tank, it would color up a bit more. The piece was a branch of about six inches. I inquired as to the price and was quoted $150. I asked about a similar piece that was probably about 4 12/ inches and was told the price was $129. Once again, I opted to pass.

Finally, I noticed a blue carpet anemone. I had wanted one forever. On the tank was a price tag of $150. Inside this tank was a blue carpet and a green carpet. On the glass were the words "hold" and "g". I assumed that the "g" stood for "green", but, I asked the employee to be sure. He assured me the blue carpet was for sale. I told him to bag it. He then did. As I approached the register to pay (the blue carpet was sealed in the bag), the employee stated, sorry, this item is sold. He opened the bag and poured it back into the tank.

With all of this being stated, I will never return to that store. I feel that a more appropriate name might be "Absolute rip-off", or, "Absolutely overpriced", or, even, "Absolute nonsense". Whatever it is referred to as, I will not shop there again. Also, the person who is purchasing the carpet should know about the bagging and redumping incident. NONSENSE.

If you have had an experience with that store, please share.

A~

Oh, and for a final piece of information, I went to MACNA in Atlanta. They were selling bottles of "Tigger Pods" there for $15. I checked the price at Absolutely Overpriced, and, they were selling them for $25. BIG SURPRISE.

A~

Scrandrew is offline   Reply With Quote