View Single Post
Unread 09/20/2018, 10:13 AM   #25
rayjay
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby.
I have progressed over the years since I started into seahorses in 2002, to the point I now feed four times a day.
I found that the seahorses appear healthier and their immune systems seem to be better now that they get more frequent feedings.
As seahorses have NO stomach and only a very rudimentary digestive tract, fewer and larger feedings mean the seahorse is NOT getting enough benefit from what it eats, especially when eating a given amount at a faster rate that pushes the food through the digestive tract even faster.
Best OTHER thing you can do to help ensure long term survival of your seahorses is to extreme husbandry and water changes because seahorses are very prone to bacterial disease, and, while ALL your test kits may say the water is IDEAL, it really may NOT be for seahorses. THERE ARE NO TEST KITS available to the hobbyist that will tell you when the water has degraded to the point bacteria is coming into play so the only tell is when a seahorses shows signs of disease, which sometimes is too late to treat.
Also, as these bacteria multiply exponentially above 74°F, the 74°F becomes the high target for water temperature to help keep the bacteria at bay.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote