View Single Post
Unread 11/20/2018, 07:32 AM   #15
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Round 2 -

The 120g system is fully infested with Aiptasia.

About 5 months ago, I started raising Aiptasia in a 10 gallon system, no lights, feeding freshly hatched brine shrimp. I’ve got a good colony of bleached out, small Aiptasia, that is easily accessible.

The main display has 100’s if not 1000’s of Aiptasia. So much so, I use a turkey baster to suck barely visible babies off the sand bed and transfer them to the dark Aiptasia grow out tank.

I’ve just purchased 16 medium Berghia from Reeftown. They are not going into the main display. Power heads, overflow, main pump, amphipods, I believe create an environment not suitable for sustained longevity or reproduction.

Converted QT into my ‘breeding’ system.

Going to attempt to have egg strings laid in the Pyrex containers, hatch and then ‘mature’ in a 29g tank, with no power heads or pumps to shred them. Question will be, do I have enough Aiptasia to truly feed them to maturation. If successful, I’ll hopefully begin my own colony and able to place 100’s /1000’s of baby Berghia into the main display to fully eradicate.

This is my last attempt at using Berghia. If this effort doesn’t work to get Aiptasia under control, to the point I can start adding peppermint shrimp without worry of them feasting on $15 meals, chloroquine phosphate nuking might be next.

Updates to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote