Thread: Wrasse experts
View Single Post
Unread 05/18/2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I am far from a wrasse expert, but from all my reading of recent information, Flasher and Fairy wrasses will progress to terminal males in aquarium. Wrasse keepers recommended ONE wrasse per species. There are quite a few reefers have pair/harem of Fairy wrasses in their aquarium but these will not last. Once the female change, the live of the older male is in jeopardy.
I recently learn and see that there are three Flame wrasse in a LFS in San Antonio in a 8X4 display sale aquarium. I was told that the tree of them went in as all females about 1 year ago. Now all three are males with one terminal male and two sub males. Flame Fairy apparently are more docile according to my reading, and the tank is large enough such that they don't kill each other, but no female remain of the three.
Hi....I totally agree here....I have seen similar things with same species of Wrasses at my LFS also....from my own experience....I have 4 Leopard Wrasses...Ornate.... Melegris... Moyer's...
And blue star....no males....I also have a male Solorensis...Red Coris transitioning to adult colors...and a yellow Coris...I chose to not risk a harum...so I have one of each type....from what I too understand that even a single female wrasse can transition to a male....with or without a same species. Or they may just always stay female....in my opinion to answer the OP's original question....I think the reason for one of your Wrasses changing to male probably did not have anything to do with the other Wrasse species...just my 2 cents....[emoji16]

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote