View Single Post
Unread 10/03/2006, 05:57 PM   #287
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

highquality,
It can be dangerous due to the acrylic being jammed between the spinning bit and the fence. With the tablesaw blade, its less of an issue because the blade is spinning parallel to the work. The router bit, however will want to pull the work into itself if you try to take too large a bite into the material. This can grab the piece and throw it at you. I had a friend LOSE A TESTICLE this way, no BS. So you can clamp a feather board to the table so that the acrylic can only ride up the bit so far. Its a fine line between jamming the material against the fence too tightly and leaving enough play while still being safe.
That said, many people route the acrylic with only the fence and bit, no feather board. Pay close attention, keep constant pressure against the fence, and ONLY take off a 16th of an inch at a time.

My tablesaw has a router cutout in one of the extension wings. You can easily fab up a base of plywood, melamine, etc for any tablesaw. A dedicated table is best, but mine works for as often as I use it.

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote