View Single Post
Unread 07/29/2008, 06:57 PM   #1
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

220gal Plywood/steel hybrid. Pull up a chair, this will take a while.

For all you fellow DIY junkies out there, I am going to maintain this build log of my next tank. It will take a while, so be patient.

The tank will have the front and one end glass. I plan on joining the two glass panels directly to each other with no wood in the corner. I will be running a wavebox, so I want this a rugged as practical. For extra insurance and to minimize the size of the perimeter braces, I will be using some angle iron encased in epoxy and wood. The glass will be 5/8 or 3/4 low iron.

The back of the tank will be right up against the wall, so I ruled out a centered location for the overflow plumbing. However, In order to run the wavebox the best way possible, I did come up with a solution to keep the overflow in the center of the rear wall of the tank, but the plumbing will be on one end.

Also, do to the certainty of some tank inhabitant getting into the overflow, I will be incorporating a viewing panel in there also. It will either be 1/4 or 3/8 glass.

The inside of the tank will have a several layers of fiberglass cloth in addition to the epoxy. Outside of the tank will also be glassed. Internally, my main objective is to have a very thick layer of protection so that there will be no chance of causing a chip that would allow water to reach the wood. This is a common weakness I see on many plywood tanks.

Anyway, where is the 1st batch of pics. Nothing has been glued yet, and I have not finalized the front to back depth yet.

Back of tank. Bracing will be glassed. All screws throughout are 1-5/8 every 3" or so material is 11 ply birch plywood.

Inside of overflow box. Probably will be an additional hole for 1" bulkhead. The two existing holes are for 1-1/2.

Compartment for wavebox.

From the inside.

99% of the joints are either rabbet or dado joints.

And the outside.

And the overflow weir.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote