View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtentacle View Post
Getting back into the hobby after many years away. I want to get a fairly large tank and was planning on using vortech mp60's for the main source of water movement. My question is how long of a tank is too long for mp60's on each side to provide adequate water movement? I'm considering getting an 8 to 12 foot long tank and I want to avoid dead current zones in the middle of the tank. Any advice or recommendations for tank length?

For additional info, if it helps, I was planning on having the tank be 30 inches tall and either 36 or 48 inches wide. The current game plan was to have a mixed reef tank. For overflows, I was planning on going with one on each side in the middle of the side (so that I can put the vortech's on either side of the overflows).
Hi, if you end up going 12' long, try to go with the 48" front to back measurement, and the MP 60's will move some water to the ends of a 12' tank. If I were you, I would incorporate a closed loop system in a tank that long, with multiple MP 40's or 60's along the back wall, and ends at different heights. This along with a good return pump should give you all the different flow options you should need. You could also use Sea Swirls on your return lines, and maybe on some of your closed loop system, for a better flow pattern.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote