View Single Post
Unread 02/02/2019, 11:19 PM   #865
crvz
Team RC Member

I've had some nutrient issues... I think the mangroves and the tangs keep algae away, but corals started receding (especially the red monti cap). I let it go for months without investigating (the coral issues), but finally tested and nitrates were probably over 50ppm (maybe off scale high depending on who was reading the salifert color chart). I've been doing 50 gallon water changes every 2-3 days, gotten some media for phosphate (which was 0.75), and added some carbon. Trying to skim a little more aggressively as well, and I pulled out a lot of the dead or dying montipora. Which resulted in getting bitten by the trigger fish hiding in said coral. Whoops. Heres a today shot (without the halides on... just the LED illumination light and then the bleed through light from the mangroves on the right).

I'll keep up the maintenance and then hope to get some more stony corals in a few months. I had been working a lot around the house doing non-tank stuff for a while (woodworking projects, garage stuff, etc), but I've gotten more into the hobby a little and hopefully that will keep going.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote