View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2019, 07:50 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Suicidal fish hotline and prevention!

O.k. So, I have a history with mentally ill fish... Some bullies, some just flat out suicidal and don't want to live anymore, thus ending their lives suddenly and most likely painfully. Such a dark subject!

On my previous 220 I must have lost 7 - 8 fish or more due to getting in the overflows and even going through the return pump, etc. I have the overflows locked down on my 340 now. YAAY! nothing is getting in those. I have to clean them frequently as they almost prevent food from going down.. But, save a fish, ride a ?? Not sure.

But, that said, I came home to two fish laying on the cement. A rock displaced in the tank. and 2 more fish missing in the tank (at least from site). Not sure if they were crushed by the rock, my dragon wrasse chased everyone around and tried eating them, or what happened. I came home to my glass covered in a film and the tank looking like ww III occurred. I suspect a fight ensued or someone got crushed by a rock and the rock fall either scared the fish or a possible spike in ammonia or something caused two jump out. The other 8 are fine, eating fine, and swimming fine.

So, I want to enact a suicide prevention hotline... More accurately a cover. over my 6ft by 3ft tank top. I've got an aquatic life fixture hanging over the top along with 3 AI Hydra (52) LED fixtures mounted in the Aquatic life fixture. I don't want to disrupt the lighting. The front top is closed by a wall/ cabinet doors. The back is wide open (for maintenance, cleaning etc) The two fish were laying behind the tank...

So, what do people do that allows light through, doesn't build up too much algae, and prevents fish from jumping out, as I have a history of this being an issue... Different fish now, different tank, same issue.

I'm debating Egg Crate over the whole thing, 2 or 3 panels. But, I'm afraid this will reduce the light too much... Is there a clear soft netting, or something like that that would allow light through but prevent this issue?

Thanks!

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote