View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2017, 07:15 AM   #17
shred5
Registered Member

Lots of Chinese fixtures spread the light out where brands like Kessil use clusters and Radions and Hydras use pucks. The Chinese fixture just spread out the individual leds more instead of clustering them together. While this works fine it also leads to color separation and the disco affect. I hate it and it looks terrible..

No one said leds cannot keep sps it just your going to need more fixtures than what they actually say. I do not know how many people I have heard with sps having added more fixtures or had to add t-5 or left led for halides. It is not about par either, leds put out plenty of par it is the technology and being a point source.

I have seen some wonderful sps tanks with leds fixtures but they have some on angles to help with shading and more fixtures than what would be required. It is like buying a skimmer we know most brands exaggerate what they can handle and usually half is more like it. Now this is just for sps.

I use two Kessils over my 3' tank right now and I am thinking of adding 2 or more or going hybrid. Kessil has great light, great shimmer, colors sps well but self shading is killing my sps on the bottom sides. They were fine when little and shading was not a issue. Matter of fact I gave or sold most of my sps away because of it. I now miss them and want to add sps back so upgrades here they come.

Last edited by shred5; 04/20/2017 at 07:21 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote