View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:17 PM   #8
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelargill View Post
What have I missed the last 5 years - what mistakes do I need to avoid? Can I have a gorgeous system and keep the top ON for the Biocube? Should I consider a different system?
Quote:
I don't want to waste money on things I end up trashing and upgrading (been there done that) and I really prefer to have things streamline and connected as possible (big techie and loved my Apex on my last tank).

Quote:
Thinking:

Biocube 32
Apex computer
Light upgrade to Steve's system (?)
InTank Refug/Media Basket
Protein Skimmer - maybe
Ecotech MP10QD (2)
Live rock and live sand

Stock - mostly soft corals & LPS with a few fish and hopefully anenome/clown pair (I have had success with this in the past and it is my fav thing ever).
For soft corals and most LPS, you honestly would be fine with a stock biocube. If you want to get fancy, get a $12 floodlight from ebay, or algae-specific light, and shine it into the middle rear chamber from behind shining in. Then you would grow algae on the walls, and before a water change, scrape down the walls, and just siphon out from that chamber, which will be about 5 gallons, so you'll basically just siphon out algae and be doing your water changes at the same time. That will control nutrients as well as, if not better than, a skimmer.

Apex, steve's LEDs, MP10s are totally overkill for a simple tank. The most helpful thing you can do on a nano is keep up with water changes and maintenance. No constant tweaking, no equipment changes, just keep it simple and pay attention to it.

For reference, my tank (though not currently I'm afraid):

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote