View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2018, 11:25 AM   #10
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelargill View Post
I live downtown in a loft and want to go the nano route focusing on soft coral, LPS, and hopefully an anenome/clown pair.

Checking out the pros of the new Biocube 32 and consider things below. Would love to hear feedback on top on vs. off (I do not like the visual of topless) as well as upgrades that are all compatible.

Thinking:

Biocube 32
Apex computer
Light upgrade to Steve's system (?)
InTank Refug/Media Basket
Protein Skimmer - maybe
Ecotech MP10QD (2)
Live rock and live sand

Stock - mostly soft corals & LPS with a few fish and hopefully anenome/clown pair (I have had success with this in the past and it is my fav thing ever).

I don't want to waste money on things I end up trashing and upgrading (been there done that) and I really prefer to have things streamline and connected as possible (big techie and loved my Apex on my last tank).

What have I missed the last 5 years - what mistakes do I need to avoid? Can I have a gorgeous system and keep the top ON for the Biocube? Should I consider a different system?
Well, "right off the bat", keeping soft and LPS corals can be done without upgrading the lighting, but anemones can be more problematic depending on what species you would like to keep (i.e. some need a lot more light than others). The stock light gives little flexibility, but is again fine for lower-light species. I have a Steve's retrofit on my older 14g BioCube, and it allowed me to keep whatever I wanted, with power/ intensity left over. NanoBox offers another good retro - the difference between the two is primarily the controller options, followed by diodes used and heatsink/ fan.

Is a protein skimmer necessary? No, but it allows an extra measure of filtration and gas exchange, especially with a closed hood if running the air intake outside the hood. Having the top cuts down greatly on evaporation, which is key for a nano (and I still would use an auto topoff system). I don't think you would need two MP10's, and there are other fully internal circulation pumps to consider (Tunze, Hydor Koralia, Aqamai KPS, etc.)

Funny, but the one thing I would personally consider "superfluous" is the Apex - nice to have as a "toy", but certainly not needed, especially in a nano.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote