View Single Post
Unread 03/13/2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Linina
Premium Member

Ok not much progress unless you count about 45 minutes in the home depot pvs/sprinkler dept wondering what to do...

Heres the pump I got(Blue line pump 40 HD 790 GPH)

I didn't get the right parts (I forgot the input and output were threaded....not hose barb...whoops.) So i'll be going back to fix that oops. The ball valve will thread onto the pump inlet directly but I figure thats not the most convenient piece to be unthreading in the event of taking it apart for cleaning.

Now, is it ok to use flexible hose in this sump-to-pump area, or should it be hard pvc only? My SO got the impression in the LFS that we were supposed to use pvc but I assumed either would work and the flexible hose seems easier to deal with. Thoughts?

Now for the bulkheads in the overflow. It turns out that any of the 3 bulkheads included will fit. However the drain pipe is 1" and therefore the 1" seems to be made for the drain. Now, the thing is, that the other end of that bulkhead is a hose barb of some obscenely huge diameter. Like 1.25" at least. We don't have flexible pipe that large. I browsed at home depot and did locate some flexible pipe of that diameter. However shortly before buying it I realized that unless I could find a hose barb style adapter of the same diameter that this purchase wasn't going to do me any good. (adapter to go from the other end of the hose to the sump). And I looked all over the plumbing dept and even asked for help (god forbid!) and they do not have any hose barb adapters of any variety larger than 1".

My alternative would be I guess, to use the 3/4" bulkhead in the drain hole and modify the drain pipe to narror down from 1" to 3/4".

It's possible I need to do this anyway....is there going to be any issue with the drain being of larger diameter than the return? The exit from the pump is only 3/4" so maybe I should be narrowing the drain to match that - 3/4". I'm a total plumbing newbie so any tips would be appreciated.

Meanwhile I'll go re-browse other setup threads now that I understand what I'm trying to accomplish here.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder, elos mini
Linina is offline   Reply With Quote