View Single Post
Unread 01/17/2008, 01:40 AM   #1
hotimportknight
Registered Member

Looking for a mantis tank

I'm new to this forum, but have been on livingreefs for a while now. No one over there is really commenting on the mantis tank in the last few days, so I thought I would give it a shot here. Right now my mantis is in a 4.5 gallon tank with like 1/8" or less thick glass. maybe 1/16" even. Its very thin. I'm worried about my mantis breaking the glass, and I want to upgrade to a bigger tank. I live close to fosters and smith and want to take a trip up there tomorrow on my day off and get a new tank. I was thinking acrylic so it would withstand hits. I cant think of the type of mantis I have again, the store called it an "orange mantis" but its not, it was like a rainbow or something I think. Here is a picture
Its a spear type, but when it hits the glass it really sounds like it could break. I was going to get the eclipse 12 on sale at fosters and smith, but its on backorder and I want to do this tomorrow. Next option is a 12 gallon nano cube for $119.99. How thick is the glass? Do you think a slasher mantis will be a problem? How is the filtration on those?
What do you guys think?
Should I keep the cheap crushed coral in there? will that be ok for burrowing? or do I need some sand? Could I just cut a piece of PVC? And If so what size diameter? My mantis is about 3-4" long. Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance for any help!

hotimportknight is offline   Reply With Quote